I'm going round in circles!
Cool so something like the hd-id11 or id40 would be my best bet?
maxinc Wrote:Why do people go for custom / more expensive front end builds if a cheap Zbox can do it all the easy way? Are there any advantages for more powerful machines?

Demanding emulators, ability to do other things with a always on system (one of mine has a quad core that streams videos to my iPhone), ability to be as futureproof as possible, etc.

Despite the pointer towards the Zotacs and spending the past week deciding between the ID11 and ND22 - I then saw the Foxconn NT330i in the UK for £50 cheaper than the ID11 so thought it too good to miss out on.

Got 2GB of ram on the way too so should be all set up by the end of the week.
I ordered the ND01 for £147 which is basically the same hardware in a different box. eBuyer canceled my first order for an unknown reason so maybe I get better luck 2nd time Smile

Should arrive tomorrow. If passes my tests for usability Rolleyes, I will probably get two more for the other rooms.
Had the Foxconn for a few days ....... but now its gone!

Didn't seem to mind the fan noise at first but then it really started to annoy. That was with the latest Bios too? Shame - cause it was a really nice small unit (probably too small in fairness and didn't allow for enough airflow!?)

Anyway - replaced it with the Zotac mentioned above and what a difference - I've heard the Zotac mentioned as noisy on some sites, but compared to the Foxconn, it really is pretty much silent Laugh

Just a quick question - I'm running OpenElec build off SD card at the mo which is still nice and snappy. Thinking of adding a SSD soon - is that likely to affect heat within the unit at all - thinking its nice and empty at the moment which probably helps with airflow and lower fan noise??
maxinc Wrote:Why do people go for custom / more expensive front end builds if a cheap Zbox can do it all the easy way? Are there any advantages for more powerful machines?

custom builds gives you the Flexibility you might need!!
Like adding the correct hardware for playing Bluray 3D movies!!
correct hardware for playing TRUE 7.1 HD audio!!
and the Processing Speed needed to accomplish all of those without a hitch..

Also if you plan on lets say creating BD-rips in MKV formats,
you need a strong machine if you dont want to sit there and wait 4 hours....

not to mention, if your an occasional or strong gamer,
you can only benefit from having a custom build to meet your gaming needs!!

Example, lets say u get yourself a GeForce GT430 video card for your custom build,
some of them only cost about $55 like this one --> http://ow.ly/1rZGxK
and you get all of these advantages thanks to it

you'll never get all of those using an under-powered ION box....

Smile
eskro Wrote:you'll never get all of those using an under-powered ION box....

How about this?

(Dunno' about DirectX version)
Dual-Core 1.8GHz.. only.... eww.....

2GB DDR2 800MHz...... thats old memory.... eww.....

Doesn't support DOLBY TRUE-HD nor DTS-HD MASTER audio............

Reports says ION 2 fails to outperform the original ION.....

320GB 5400 rpm HDD... eww..........

*Due to VGA driver limitation, 3D function only supports Windows® 7 / 7 64-bit / Vista™ / Vista™ 64-bit.
I guess I was strictly referring to the unit as a simple xmbc front end for playing media only. 3D content and 7.1 are valid points although they don't apply for me yet as I lack the HW to experience them.

For everything else there are separate, better machines.
custom builds rock!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'm going round in circles!1