[WINDOWS] Any recommendations for full featured UPnP Media Server working with XBMC?
So I'm looking to use UPNP to share/stream my media to other devices, more specifically Xbox 360s, but ideally *any* other device. I have a dedicated HTPC running XBMC, and I used UPNP sharing and it works great, but it appears that there's no way to manage what it shares. According to posts I've read by a developer, it's only designed to share media with metadata, so any video folders that I have not scanned into the library will not show. The other problem I have is that my other devices won't play MKV files. The 360 just has a circle with a line through it denoting it cannot be played.

Ultimately what I want is a UPNP server that I can install/run on the same box as XBMC, that will allow me to control exactly what I want shared, how I want it to display, and probably do transcoding to allow MKV files to play. Does anyone have any recommendations? Again, my main concern is having this run alongside XBMC, since that is my dedicated front-end on my HTPC and is never shutdown. So it would probably have to run in the background either as another desktop application or service, and not cause problems with XBMC. Given that fact I figured it would be best to ask here first.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA!

Edit: I'm assuming none of this can be done with XBMC, at least in it's current state (using Dharma RC2). If I'm incorrect please let me know. I've searched around for quite a bit on this and didn't find much useful info. It works amazing well and simple for just sharing my Movie and Music library, but I need that extra bit of functionality.
TVersity or PS3 Media Server (which, despite the name, will work with any UPNP device). Keep in mind however that these need a fair amount of CPU power to be able to transcode on the fly, plus they don't really work over wireless. An ION box will not be able to do it. I even had it not really work on a lower-end dual core machine, if much else was running on it.
PS3 Media Server works great, you can stream over wireless fine if you adjust the transcode settings assuming you have a powerful enough CPU. I managed to transcode and stream over 802.11g with almost Bluray quality and far better than DVD quality using a 2.2Ghz single core AM2 processor although I was using a headless Linux box, rather than Windows, which uses less resources.

If you need any help then PM me and I can give you some tips.

Just realised PM is not enabled, just reply here and I will reply.
ooh, was wondering about PS3 Media Server but never tested it.
Cool to know Big Grin
plyoung.com - my personal site where I blog about the projects I work on

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Any recommendations for full featured UPnP Media Server working with XBMC?0