Random Crashes when player HD .mkv from External HardDrive
Hi, this may be my first post, but I'll definitely be around since I plan on getting a Zotac Mag soon.

Anyway here is my weird problem.

I'm trying to play 720p .mkv files that are on my 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda USB hard drive. My laptop is a Dell M1530 and is hooked up to my TV by HDMI. I have vdpau installed by using the nvidia installer, (I use Debian Squeeze/Sid and while I can get the NVidia driver installed the debian way, I can't get vdpau to work with the debian drivers). Vdpau is working as my CPU usage while playing the same 720p mkv files is 1 to 2 percent. The cpu usage while playing the identical files in xbmc is around 10 percent.

The crashes are random and can happen at anytime while playing the mkv files and only when playing the 720p files. When the crash happens the external drive locks up and unmounts. (It's not really a crash, there is no crash log because all that happens is the video locks and XBMC displays a message saying 'unsafe device removal' or somethings similar).

I'm using Dharma, but this problem is also present if I'm using the 9.x version available in Debian Multimedia.

I'm not sure but perhaps the settings in XBMC where you sync playback to display have something to do with this?

The display card is an nvidia 8600m gt.

Thanks for Reading this and in advance for any replies. I'm at a loss really. It's so hard to test and debunk when these crashes happen randomly.
that's interesting... please see this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87347

never stumbled across a problem with external mounted hard drives before...
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
wow, super old thread, but about to embark on my own identical issue with libreelec 16.2...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random Crashes when player HD .mkv from External HardDrive0