[LIVE] No audio on some MKV files
I'm having issues with playing audio from some MKV files. I've ripped some movies from DVD using MakeMKV using default settings. They play just fine on my WinXP machine using VNC, but I don't get audio on the XBMC. I've got some other sporting events that have been recorded into MKV and they play just fine.

I'm running 9.04.1 r20654 on a Ubuntu Live install on an Acer Revo 1600.
I've got
Audio Output: Digital
Audio output device plug:hdmi
Passthrough output device: plug:hdmi
Downmix multichannel audio to stereo: selected
I'm running via HDMI to my receiver to 2-channel stereo

I'm looking at upgrading to dharma once it's an official release - I haven't really feel like messing with the betas (though I see that RC2 is basically considered the final release). I'm also considering a switch to WinXP on my Acer, as I'm more comfortable under the surface on XP than Ubuntu.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are greatly welcome,
FreeMan
Go to your system config, enable "debugging," reboot your machine, try to play the file in question in XBMC, ssh to the XBMC box, then do this:

Code:
cd ~/.xbmc/temp
cat xbmc.log

Upload the output to pastebin and post the URL here. Without seeing the logs it's hard to say what's happening.
Thanks for the help!

I've posted here: http://pastebin.com/cv78LPvv

It seemed that there were some date/time stamps that were rather old, so I cropped the log from just before the video started playing. Please let me know if you need more.

FreeMan

EDIT: removed passwords from the plain text. I hope...
Try "pulseuadio -k" in the terminal?

Probably won't work, but always the first thing I do when troubleshooting sounds issues. PulseAudio is the problem 90% of the time, at least for me.
kaiser423 Wrote:Try "pulseuadio -k" in the terminal?

How the heck do I get to terminal in the Live version? Using the PM skin, I selected "Exit XBMC", but that just drops me to a text screen with no prompt. I can type, but nothing happens.
Ctrl-Alt-F1

You can go back to XBMC with Alt-F7 from the console.
Thanks, Costi. Still took me a minute but I figured that out.

I've got a terminal prompt, but I can't find "pulseaudio" anywhere on the system. (It's not on the path, either, as attempting to execute "pulseaudio -k" gave me an unknown command.) BTW- I assume kaiser423 typo'd when he typed "pulseuadio", but I didn't see "pulse*" anywhere.

My Linux is a bit rusty, so I'm using FileZilla to browse the whole hard drive of the machine. I don't see it in /bin, /etc or anywhere in the /home or /home/xbmc directory structures.

Thanks for taking the time to deal with a newbie.
FreeMan
I'm downloading the latest build of 9.11 (not sure of the rev number, it's the latest build listed under the 'live' link on the download page as of today, 14 Dec). Would it be worthwhile to install this to see if the issue has been resolved, or should I just hold off a bit longer and go straight to dharma once it's been finalized?

TIA
-FreeMan
Honestly skip 9.11 and just grab dharma rc2, there is no point in upgrading to something that old. Additionally, if your just looking for a quick and simple way to setup xbmc, just grab the latest ion image from openelec.tv
Thanks, prae5.

Are these good instructions to backup and get the latest RC2? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87535

Also, general question - any ideas on why I can get audio out of some MKVs but not the ones I'm ripping myself? When given the option in MakeMKV, I'm picking the 2.0 audio stream, since that's all I'm capable of playing back right now, and they work just fine in VLC on my WinXP box...
OK, I got myself upgraded to dharma rc2, I have figured out all the other niggling little things that slowed me down, and I still have no audio coming from MKV files that I've ripped myself. I can, however, play audio from MKVs from other sources

Reboot, load MKV that won't play audio, followed by AVI that will
http://pastebin.com/TdQqEpYK

Let me know if you need a debug log from an MKV that will play. Again, I can get audio from this file playing it via VLC on my WinXP machine.

Any help? I see where CrystalHD doesn't seem to be getting loaded, is that the source of the problem, a symptom, or just another issue to sort out?

TIA!
FreeMan
I found that by setting the audio output to analog, I can get audio from all audio streams in my MKV files, but I still don't understand what's going on.

Here are my settings on my Audio screen:
Audio Output: Analog
Speaker Config: 2.0
Boost Vol on Downmix: On
Audio output device: Plug:HDMI

I can play multiple audio streams this way, and turn the subtitles on and off, but why do I have to set my audio output to Analog instead of HDMI, Digital, or anything else?

FreeMan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] No audio on some MKV files0