[LIVE] MP3 encoded videos play poorly ... very poorly (Acer Aspire Revo 3700))
Hi everyone Big Grin

So I've got a clean install of XBMC Live Dharma Beta 4* and it's running almost really well...

It's just one thing:
  1. Videos that have mp3 encoded audio have choppy playback Sad

It doesn't matter if it's over wifi, hard network or off a USB drive; mp3 encoded videos play really badly.

It'll even play full 1080p, DTS encoded videos with 5.1 channels over wifi with no problems.

I've tried updating ALSA (but I'm fairly n00bish) as described in this thread with no results.

Can anyone please shed some light?

*This is the last version that I've tried. I've been trying various versions in the hit-and-hope mentality that it'll get fixed. I'm pretty sure rc2 will be the same.
Please post a debug log.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Please post a debug log.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't do it right now, but for when I get home: Where can I find or how can I produce a debug log?

Or is it just this?

Cheers.
tonyamazing Wrote:I'm at work at the moment so I can't do it right now, but for when I get home: Where can I find or how can I produce a debug log?

Or is it just this?

Cheers.

Yes. Enable debugging in XBMC, restart XBMC, repeat playing (or whatever you were doing encountering problem), then post debug log to pastebin.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I've just made a clean installation of XBMC Live Dharma rc2 (in case all the alsa stuff I did stuffed anything up).

Same situation as before; choppy audio with mp3 encoded vids.

Pastebin.

Line 70, Robber.01.KST.avi is one of the problem videos.

And then I run a couple of other videos on line 210 and 260, which both run fine.
sorry for the double post

from the xbmc.log, it looks like line 112 details the problem.

CALSADirectSound::CALSADirectSound - requested samplerate (32000) not supported by hardware, using 22050 instead

I did a quick google and found another, very similar post here on forums.xbmc.org but with a ZOTAC.

The suggested fix didn't work for me, unfortunately.

Any ideas?
Bump?
I've tried a few things:
-setting the resample setting in advancedsettings.xml to 48000
-setting the output device to plug:default, plug:hdmi, plughw:1,7

and more random things that I can't remember anymore and nothing seems to work.

I'm starting to think that I won't ever get this done and I should just install Windows 7.

Heck, I even downloaded the source code from the svn repo but that didn't really help. I was only able to find the line where the error was being logged.

ASLADirectSound.cpp line 286
Code:
if(m_uiSamplesPerSec != uiSamplesPerSec)
    CLog::Log(LOGWARNING, "CALSADirectSound::CALSADirectSound - requested samplerate (%d) not supported by hardware, using %d instead", uiSamplesPerSec, m_uiSamplesPerSec);

Code's only helpful if I could step through it or even just put in a few println to the log file just to see where and why m_uiSamplesPerSec != uiSamplesPerSec.

I'm tired. I'm goin to bed.
Not sure its any help to you at all, but I don't see this issue with the same hardware and RC2 (though I didn't see it with beta4 either).
Mindzai Wrote:Not sure its any help to you at all, but I don't see this issue with the same hardware and RC2 (though I didn't see it with beta4 either).

I'm only having the problem with my parents' crappy TV shows. All my videos run perfectly.

@Mindzai, If I manage to split one of the video files in question down to about 10mb, would you be able to have a look for me?
Using plug:hdmi:CARD=NVidia should make alsa resample when the samplerate is not supported.
Happy New Year and sorry for the extremely delayed reply; the holidays were busy.

bobo1on1 Wrote:Using plug:hdmi:CARD=NVidia should make alsa resample when the samplerate is not supported.

@bobo1on1, I've tried doing what you said with a fresh install of XBMC Live 10.0 and I'm still getting the same problems.

pastebin of new log

I'm still getting the same warning on line 753
Code:
CALSADirectSound::CALSADirectSound - requested samplerate (24000) not supported by hardware, using 22050 instead

Here's some codec details for a different file that also has the problem:
Code:
File     :  451 MB (451 MB),  duration: 1:05:35,  type: AVI,  1 audio stream(s),  quality: 54 %, ,
Video :  406 MB,  867 Kbps,  29.970 fps,  624*352 (16:9),  XVID = XVID Mpeg-4,    Supported
Audio :  45 MB,  96 Kbps,  32000 Hz,  2 channels,  0x55 = MPEG Layer-3,  VBR, ,   Supported

I'm starting to think that the easier option (for me) is to teach my parents how to re-encode their video files. It seems that the community that they get their videos from all encode their videos the same crappy way which is causing a headache for me.
For any Googlers out there who come across this situation ... I couldn't find a solution.

In the end, I had to install Windows 7. It now works a treat.
tonyamazing Wrote:For any Googlers out there who come across this situation ... I couldn't find a solution.

In the end, I had to install Windows 7. It now works a treat.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would encode their audio at 32khz in the first place, and how many videos did you have that it was such a dealbreaker? I mean with SUPER you could have done a batch convert where you just copied the video streams directly and transcoded the audio into 44khz. Anyway, hopefully you have found some other benefits to Win7 besides being able to play those very non-standard videos.
alexpigment Wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would encode their audio at 32khz in the first place, and how many videos did you have that it was such a dealbreaker? I mean with SUPER you could have done a batch convert where you just copied the video streams directly and transcoded the audio into 44khz. Anyway, hopefully you have found some other benefits to Win7 besides being able to play those very non-standard videos.

It's for my parents. They watch Vietnamese-Subbed, Korean Soap Operas and it seems that there's one particular subbing group that encode their videos like this.

Since my parents are old and not so computer savvy, I decided that it would be best to go the Windows 7 route rather than teach them to convert their videos.

It's very frustrating. My 1080p, DTS videos stream over WiFi just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] MP3 encoded videos play poorly ... very poorly (Acer Aspire Revo 3700))0