XBMC Audio Issues
Hi, everyone! First time poster here!

I've tried looking through the existing topics, but could not find any that matched my issues. If one does exist, then please feel free to flog me with a soggy noodle and direct me to the existing thread.

I am running XBMC on Ubuntu 10.04 Server. Other than XBMC, there is no desktop or other X session installed. I am running straight ALSA - no Pulseaudio here* - running on a Creative Soundblaster Audigy (no SPDIF).

I have two audio issues with my setup. My first issue crops up when XBMC has been left idling for a long time (several hours or so). XBMC loses all audio. I don't get any clicks when navigating around, and when I select something to play, XBMC hangs for a minute or so, then sound is restored and everything is fine. While XBMC is hung like this, I can still SSH into the computer with no problems, so it's not a hung computer here. There are no log entries related to this issue when XBMC hangs like that.

My second issue is during long playback, generally when playing streaming internet radio. At around one hour 50 minutes of playback, the audio starts skipping and stuttering really badly. Quickly pausing and unpausing the stream fixes this, for about another one hour 50 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced either or both of these problems, or can shed some light on their cause?

* No Pulseaudio - that I know of. That is, I didn't install it myself, so if PA exists, XBMC put it there. I only mention this because XBMC just crashed back to TTY on me, so I looked in the latest crash log, and it had these entries in it:
Code:
20:33:53 T:3077961584 M:1321947136   ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
20:33:53 T:3077961584 M:1321947136   ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to create context
20:33:53 T:3077961584 M:1322053632   ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
20:33:53 T:3077961584 M:1322053632   ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to create context
20:33:53 T:3077961584 M:1322053632 WARNING: Failed to find previously selected audio sink

############### END LOG FILE ################

One thing to note: Those Pulseaudio entries correspond to when I had no audio, when XBMC hung for about a minute on me. There was nothing in the log regarding the crash, which happened about a half hour later.
Bump.

Should I install Pulseaudio on this thing? It seems a bit ridiculous, but if XBMC is apparently expecting it to be there, then would it fix my problems?
XBMC is not expecting it to be there, it's checking if it can use it, if not it will use alsa instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Audio Issues0