How do I install xbmc in linux mint 10?
because XBMC additionally needs OpenGL acceleration to handle the GUI rendering and your standard movie player does not.

you need nvidia-current, ideally from x-swat ppa. use google.

p.s. this would've been a little easier on both sides if you just used the live image or ubuntu...
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thumbs Up 
Hannes The Hun Wrote:because XBMC additionally needs OpenGL acceleration to handle the GUI rendering and your standard movie player does not.

p.s. this would've been a little easier on both sides if you just used the live image or ubuntu...

thanks for your info.it should help him
you know rikardo, you can also express your gratitude in just clicking the funny little "scale of justice"-icon next to my post. the way you did it, the only thing that goes up is your posting-counter, from 62 to 63.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:because XBMC additionally needs OpenGL acceleration to handle the GUI rendering and your standard movie player does not.

Im installing the drivers now... maybe a black screen...maybe notConfused

The reason Im trying to install ontop of mint is because ive tried xbmclive before, without any luck. Allso tried openelec.tv without luck.
joeranjensen Wrote:ive tried xbmclive before, without any luck. Allso tried openelec.tv without luck.

well, perhaps you should give us some hardware specs so we could be more helpful...
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I think you guys have been very helpfulSmile After a second try, it seems to work fine. The only thing now is that I have to toggle between laptopscreen and Tv, but I think I can live with that.

About my laptop, its an HP dv8000.

thanks
joeranjensen Wrote:Yes, its Nvidia, and it popped up a message about updating the nvidia driver.

I'm just being curious: it seems that the HP Pavillion dv8000 notebook was only available with ATI graphics, so you must be using a model from that series that has either a geforce 7400 or 7600 inside (at least according to google).

so with nvidia-current you will get OpenGL acceleration for the XBMC GUI (which is nice) but there is no chance to enable VDPAU (which is bad for HD content). depending on the installed CPU the best you could get might be 720p mkv. just in case you might be surprised why HD is not running well.

btw I'd really like to know how the dharma live image failed you, since we have really good experiences with the live distribution on nvidia-based systems.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Quote:I'm just being curious: it seems that the HP Pavillion dv8000 notebook was only available with ATI graphics, so you must be using a model from that series that has either a geforce 7400 or 7600 inside (at least according to google).

My HP has the Nvidia Gforce Go 7600 Ghaphics.
Quote:so with nvidia-current you will get OpenGL acceleration for the XBMC GUI (which is nice) but there is no chance to enable VDPAU (which is bad for HD content). depending on the installed CPU the best you could get might be 720p mkv. just in case you might be surprised why HD is not running well.

Yes your right about that, the xbmc GUI is now running very good, but 720p isnt that good.

Quote:btw I'd really like to know how the dharma live image failed you, since we have really good experiences with the live distribution on nvidia-based systems.

The reason I gave up xbmclive was that I was struggeling with getting access to my smb shares. Here is the thread from that: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86050

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I install xbmc in linux mint 10?0