Building a HTPC
waldo22 Wrote:The whole point of XBMC is to act as a "frontend" for a media collection, such as DVD ISOs, BluRay rips, MP3s and FLAC files that live on a NAS or server.

You stream these to your XBMC HTPC.

Many many XBMC users don't have Optical Drives.

first this is the second time the xbmc forums have screwed up really long posts so i'm going to shorten it up. Read through the thread again, this person is NOT prepared for linux, they most likely DO NOT have any type of centralized storage device, they are not well informed, and i'm not trying to be rude but no one's looking out for this guy.

blu-ray drives are big, some htpc cases don't hold them very well, so before you order the case and mobo, figure out your ODD's measurements and find out if it will fit in the case, again this person isn't using this as a front end, read the thread, they need a ODD and a blu-ray at that if they really do want 1080p.

hotspot, do yourself a favor, go with win7 home premium, if you ever want to do anything on your computer other then use it as a glorified movie player, trash your AMD, go with an Nvidia graphics card, a bigger power supply, and light-on(it's actually the brand name) makes a really good, cheap, and small blu-ray drive (170mm in fact). Now if you're wanting just something to act as a media viewer, save a bunch of money, go with an intel adem CPU, a microATX board with HDMI, stick with the light-on drive, and go with a tiny shuttle case, half the ram and win7 home premium. Hell they make really cheap pre-built with HDMI and support for 1080p shuttle computers that will handle all of your "just watching" needs. It really just depends on what you're what you're wanting to do with it.

EDIT: Just checked out his case, so forget my case vs BR drive argument, i never looked at the link because i just figured they was going with their own flavor of HTPC cases, and it's just a standard ATX/micro ATX case so it'll most likely fit just about any kind of ODD drive they're going to put in there, provided the PS isn't ridiculous in size but at only 350 watts can't imagine it being too crazy. Hotspot, to add to the video card size discussion don't forget to account for the risers for the motherboard, and the fact that by the time the card is slotted on the board it's going to be sitting considerably higher.
hotspot_2 Wrote:http://www4.atelco.de/resource?articleId...=2&index=1

I think it should. It's 13,5 cm high. And the 460 is not so long. What do you think?

I think that the Zotac GT430 (Zone Edition) have a impresive heatsink and the r330 a small space above the video card slot

If it fit it will be tight
My name is Erier, Humf Erier

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a HTPC0