Broken Packages / dependency error installing Dharma
Sad 
Just tried to install Dharma on Ubuntu Karmic, via synaptic. It uninstalled my previous XBMC version (9.x) and now I get this error when I try to install the latest version.

I'm pretty new to Linux, so I'm not sure why, or how to work around this.

revo:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn35648-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 2:10.00~svn35648-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
xbmc-standalone: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn35648-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 2:10.00~svn35648-karmic1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Thanks for helping if you can
also getting the exact same error message
yup, karmic packages
I'm also getting the same error message when trying to install the latest version.

I really don't know what to do now

Can anyone help please?

Cheers
technomonkey Wrote:I'm also getting the same error message when trying to install the latest version.

I really don't know what to do now

Can anyone help please?

Cheers
we need new top level package to be added to the ppa, nothing we can do
really? so I can't upgrade to Dharma?
technomonkey Wrote:really? so I can't upgrade to Dharma?

you could compile from source or download the src deb and fix the dependency or just wait until the guys here fix the PPA

I am opting for the last option Smile
We're looking into it, it's vdpau related.

TheUni
Yeah, I'm a total linux noob and only just manage to get by so will defo wait for the last option.

In my harsh attempts at trying to get it to install I deleted my old version so no xbmc!

Will try and put live on usb and have a play.

Thanks for the replies
edit: Updated Ubuntu, problem solved
Any word on this? Between install issues on Karmic, and Lirc issues on Maverick, I (and I assume others) am stuck...
Ah nuts

I wish i'd seen this before trying to update the second system in the bedroom. this is now hosed with no way back. A real downside to the whole package manager system. At least with standalone installs you could role back a version...

to recap

nuts

So this whole PPA thing, is there an eta? If its likely to be weeks rather than hours it may be a really good idea to put a note on the front page along the lines of dont update a working system until this has been resolved or you wont be watching anything !!

lets hope this is fixed soon!!

Cheers

Edz
edz2k9 Wrote:Ah nuts

I wish i'd seen this before trying to update the second system in the bedroom. this is now hosed with no way back. A real downside to the whole package manager system. At least with standalone installs you could role back a version...

to recap

nuts

So this whole PPA thing, is there an eta? If its likely to be weeks rather than hours it may be a really good idea to put a note on the front page along the lines of dont update a working system until this has been resolved or you wont be watching anything !!

lets hope this is fixed soon!!

Cheers

Edz

you should be able to roll back.

is /var/cache/apt/archives/ - the old packages should be there.

You can dpkg -i these
Hi All

I eventually resolved this by updating ubuntu internally to lucid. XBMC runs with no issues but it (as expected) hosed my myth tv frontend due to updating myth frontend to 0.24 (my backend is 0.22 and I really dont want to get into updating that at the moment)

Eventually fixed this by using the information here

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/mythtv_0.22?dist=lucid

Especially this code:

Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/trunk-0.22
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install myth-frontend

Previous to this I'd updated my apt repository to add in karmic multiverses and set aptitude preferences to use 0.22 versions of myth including frontend and mythlib.

I'm leaving the living room media revo for now since that's mission critical. I think I'll wait to see how long the PPA takes to get resolved for Karmic or if its going to be a no choice but to update the system scenario!

dc2447 Wrote:you should be able to roll back.

is /var/cache/apt/archives/ - the old packages should be there.

You can dpkg -i these

Many thanks for that, I didn't know that. I'll file it away for future use!
Hi all.

Anyone have any updates on this yet? I'm away from my karmic box so I dont know if its updated yet but may take a look this weekend if the PPA is up to date.

Thanks all

Ed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Broken Packages / dependency error installing Dharma0