XBMC Live 10.0 not setting external HDD
I just updated my XBMC to the newest 10.0 release. Everything looks good except XBMC is not seeing any external usb devices. They show up in the bios without any problems, but XBMC can't find them anywhere. Any ideas? The drives worked fine on the previous version.
Where have you tried looking?
in the past i could just gi into videos and it would show up there in sources. u also tried adding from source and it didnt show.
Same problem for me.
Not only the external harddrive disappeared from XBMC, but it's also not possible to navigate to the drive from command or Samba.

So far, couldn't find any solution on the forum.
FYI:

Check to see if the system recognizes them.

sudo lshw -C disk (Might need to install sudo apt-get install lshw)

A possible workaround is the following with a reboot.

sudo apt-get install usbmount

Maverick 10.10
To see if the OS see's it
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

To see if and where its mounted
Code:
mount
Thanks for your reply!

I followed your instructions and the system recognizes the hard drive (checked via LSHW)

But to bad, installing usbmount and a reboot didn't work...

I do have now 'usb', 'usb0' untill 'usb7' in the /media folder, but none of them shows the hard drive.

@FishOil
fdisk shows me:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 4110 MB, 4110230016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 499 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000b4af9

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1         470     3775243+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2             471         499      232942+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5             471         499      232911   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1       60801   488384001    7  HPFS/NTFS
I run XBMC Live from a 4GB USB stick, and have an external hard drive from 500GB connected

'mount' shows me:
Code:
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
I'm having the same problem after updating.

I ran sudo lshw -C disk and it reported the disk as:
SCSI disk
dev/sdb
It also reports the correct disk size (1TB).

The disk is connected via a USB docking station. It worked fine before the upgrade. When I go to add video source, it doesn't see the drive.
On my system fdisk -l reports:
dev/sdb1 ID=42 System=SFS

Mount reports:
dev/sda1
Mount does not mention sdb1
More info:
I exited XBMC. At the command prompt I was able to mount the external drive using:
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

After navigating to /mnt/usb the ls command showed all my files/directories. After rebooting the drive is no longer mounted.

So, how do I get this to automount? I did go into /grub/menu.lst and removed all instances of "nodiskmount" as suggested in another thread.
It should be /etc/default/grub that you edit.

Edit the kernel line at the bottom of the file.(there is a commented line at the top)

then run "sudo update-grub"

Otherwise just add it to /etc/fstab

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:It should be /etc/default/grub that you edit.
I have no file grub in etc/default.

nano etc/default/grub brings up an empty file and ls shows that there isn't one there. Is that the problem?

Quote:Otherwise just add it to /etc/fstab
Add what to fstab? I was trying to remove "diskmount". Am I supposed to be adding something?

I got the "menu.lst" idea from here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=menu.lst
lcapriotti Wrote:Due to previous incidents where mounting local drives in special configurations lead to data corruptions, a new token has been introduced in the kernel parameter "xbmc".

By default XBMC Live does not mount fixed fisks any more; ito run the automount script at boot you need to remove the token "nodiskmount" form the kernel command line.

There are two ways to achieve this:

1. for temporary use: use the grub functionalities and edit the kernel line when booting. The change will be limited to the session only.

2. for permanent use: open the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, remove the token and save the file.
i have the same issue. No usb discs automounting (ubuntu maverick, xbmc 10). I have tried to remove token from fstab, but still no success Sad
Sorry, i think i might be confusing you guys. Depending on what version of linux you have, the file you need to edit changes. If you have a /boot/grub/menu.lst edit it, if not the file is /etc/default/grub.

Now this might be a bug in xbmc or a symptom of updating. You might want to post a debug log and state your setups.

In the meantime you can mount the hard drive by adding the device and mount point to /etc/fstab. eg

Quote:/dev/sdb1 /home/xbmc/usb ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Where sdb1 is the device and partition, and /home/xbmc/usb is the mount point and ntfs is the file system. Use sudo fdisk -l to find the correct device.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Have you installed udisks ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live 10.0 not setting external HDD0