Burning CPU cycles while IDLE
Hi -

I'm running XBMC 10.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 on an ION system. I've noticed that even when nothing is happening (just sitting at the home screen). I'm using about 25% of my CPU. This is even after turning off the RSS feeds. Since I'm using VDPAU, I can play HD video and my CPU utilization stays at about 25%.

It just seems weird that XBMC should be burning any cycles at all when its just sitting there. Has anyone else observed this?

Thanks - J
xbmc runs in game-loop and is not event-driven (yet), meaning that xbmc refreshes the gui 25 times per second even on idle. this will be solved in future releases.
what you can do for now is to set the xbmc screensaver to "black", which makes your cpu idle.
Ah. Thanks for the tip!
I feel I've made enough threads here with silly questions, so this seems related enough to ask in. Can advancedsettings.xml not handle | in commands? To get the output for CPU temp, I need to run: sensors | grep "CPU Temp" | cut -f5 -d\ | cut -c2-5
I can probably neat it up, but it works for the purpose. So I added the following to advancedsettings.xml:
<cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors | grep "CPU Temp" | cut -f5 -d\ | cut -c2-5)C"</cputempcommand>

However, it still just shows up as "CPU Temperature: ?" in System Info -> Hardware.

I followed the reasoning for the GPU temp, which worked fine (with <gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>), but still nothing.

Am I missing something here?
Praesten Wrote:I feel I've made enough threads here with silly questions, so this seems related enough to ask in. Can advancedsettings.xml not handle | in commands? To get the output for CPU temp, I need to run: sensors | grep "CPU Temp" | cut -f5 -d\ | cut -c2-5
I can probably neat it up, but it works for the purpose. So I added the following to advancedsettings.xml:
<cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors | grep "CPU Temp" | cut -f5 -d\ | cut -c2-5)C"</cputempcommand>

However, it still just shows up as "CPU Temperature: ?" in System Info -> Hardware.

I followed the reasoning for the GPU temp, which worked fine (with <gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>), but still nothing.

Am I missing something here?

One topic per thread! Please make a new thread.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Apologies, new thread created.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Burning CPU cycles while IDLE0