[Live] Can't login any more after getting XBMC 10
I installed xbmc 10 live and need to edit a system file to enable ntfs auto mounting. I cannot access the system via sftp or puttying in. Using the user/password I created during install I can only see media folders.

With the 9.11 version I could log in using xbmc/xbmc which allowed access to all the system files.
bumping to see if I can get some answers
My car wont start......................please help.

What? You dont have an answer?

How about some details if you want assistance.
I think you have to use sftp instead, not 100% sure it is on by default since I never use it. Use putty instead.

menu.lst does exist since 10 use grub2.
I had trouble ftp'ing also until I checked out this thread
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88070

but even after doing that install, I ended up having to log into xbmc with default port and the username you created during install. its not the port/user you put in the network settings tab. strange.
Sigh seems what I said wasn't clear enough.

Using the user/pass that you create when you install I can't access system files when I SFTP, putty, or while using the command line. On the last version you could use xbmc/xbmc as the user/pass and you would have access to the system files.

I don't have any problem accessing it just logging in with proper access to system files
pball Wrote:Sigh seems what I said wasn't clear enough.

Using the user/pass that you create when you install I can't access system files when I SFTP, putty, or while using the command line. On the last version you could use xbmc/xbmc as the user/pass and you would have access to the system files.

I don't have any problem accessing it just logging in with proper access to system files

Is that your opinion of clear?

What the heck does this mean? "I don't have any problem accessing it just logging in with proper access to system files"

It sounds like to me that you are logging in with the user and password you created then trying to use xbmc/xbmc to edit/access the files. It doesn't work like that.

It doesn't matter what username or password you login with. Its all the same. If you can login you are not typing the correct commands to edit the file.

Try again to explain the steps you do and what problem is encountered.
Be specific. I have no idea what the actual problem you are having is because you have not told us anything relevant.
I logged into xbmc 10 using sftp with the user/pass i setup while installing xbmc. I see a few media related folders but no system folders or files. That is the problem.

With xbmc 9.11 I could log in using xbmc/xbmc and I could see all the system folder and files. In xbmc 10 that user/pass combo doesn't work

@FishOil
I know for a fact with xbmc 9.11 the user/pass you logged in with determined what you had access to with ftp and puttying in.
Yes, many people enables root and use that to login. Thats not recommended.

If you want to do it: Google enable root ubuntu
pball Wrote:I logged into xbmc 10 using sftp with the user/pass i setup while installing xbmc. I see a few media related folders but no system folders or files. That is the problem.

With xbmc 9.11 I could log in using xbmc/xbmc and I could see all the system folder and files. In xbmc 10 that user/pass combo doesn't work

@FishOil
I know for a fact with xbmc 9.11 the user/pass you logged in with determined what you had access to with ftp and puttying in.

For a fact huh?

OK genius..................Good luck.
pball Wrote:I installed xbmc 10 live and need to edit a system file to enable ntfs auto mounting. I cannot access the system via sftp or puttying in. Using the user/password I created during install I can only see media folders.

With the 9.11 version I could log in using xbmc/xbmc which allowed access to all the system files.

You'll have to log in with root access when you use putty.
If you don't know the root password, log into your Live box with the username and password you setup while doing the installation.

then run this.
Quote:sudo passwd root
this will prompt you to change the root password. Once you change it. Close putty then start it again. This time log in as root with the password and you are good to go.

You can also use that root and password combo in your FTP program.

Good Luck.
thanks for not helping and proving me wrong
pball Wrote:thanks for not helping and proving me wrong

que? I don't understand your post.
I take it he insists he could access system files without using sudo or login on as root in 9.11 and wants us to tell him how to do it in 10.10 instead explaining how it works.

pball; to sort this out I think we need you do re-install 9.11 and exlain what steps you take.

No, but seriosly, you can view more files than media files with your normal user. If you do your puttying and then
Quote:cd /
ls

You will see a lot of files and folders.

If you try to edit a file and the system says you have no permissions then you dont have permission. Nobody will take you seriously if you claim that file permissions did not exist in 9.11.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Can't login any more after getting XBMC 100