Which media center software should I use on my HTPC for my needs?
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section but I don't know where else to post this. I just download Boxee and XBMC on my mac to see how they looked and they seem pretty cool (similar to Plex that i use right now). At christmas I am going to buy the Acer Aspire Revo to use it as my HTPC. Needless to say I am not going to have a cable subscription anymore as I have over 25 hundred movies and several TV series on my NAS. I have always only used Plex on my mac so i am not very familiar with boxee or xbmc (even though they all seem to offer the same basic functionalities).

I am going to install Ubuntu on my HTPC so at the moment I am torn between Boxee and XBMC.
What I need is a program that lets me watch my files on my NAS and then allow me to stream shows from websites. I am thinking of getting a Netflix account (I do not have it yet) and I am pretty sure I would be using Hulu as well since I can watch the latest TV shows i have missed.
I will still be able to use the browser in Linux but for pure laziness I would like if i could always keep my media center program on and just use that to get everything i need.

Can someone please explain to me what the best set up would be to have (in their opinion) and why.
I ask just because i have not played with either software too much and they do not seem to different.

Thanks
Check that Netflix and Hulu work on Ubuntu. They used not to, but progress in this area is swift and they may work now/soon.

JR
Forget Netflix. As long as they use PlayReady DRM, Linux will never be able to play their content.
Oh i had no idea Netflix did not work on Ubuntu..this really sucks. Hulu works, or it should since you can download Hulu desktop for Linux.

I figured since you could get netflix working on xbmc it would work on any platform. I guess i could still install Ubuntu and just use my ps3 for netflix. Just wish i could just have one application that does everything.
If you need Netflix then Linux might be a no-go. I'm pretty sure there is a working Netflix plugin for Windows so you could go that route. Honestly windows is much easier to set up than Linux anyway. I don't see Netflix coming to Linux any time soon simply because the DRM and Silverlite don't play nice with Linux.

Hulu on the other hand does work in both OS's.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:If you need Netflix then Linux might be a no-go. I'm pretty sure there is a working Netflix plugin for Windows so you could go that route. Honestly windows is much easier to set up than Linux anyway. I don't see Netflix coming to Linux any time soon simply because the DRM and Silverlite don't play nice with Linux.

Hulu on the other hand does work in both OS's.

I guess you are right. In the end I feel like i will keep windows 7 installed on the Acer aspire revo so i can make my life easier with netflix and hulu etc.

I was reading a bit yesterday about xbmc and from what i understood i can download plugins from the community (even though there isn't an app store like on plex) so i guess i will go this way instead of Boxee
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...nal_player for a way to run Netflix reasonably seamlessly.

JR
Thanks for that jhsrennie
there's also the netflix plugin, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87552
for playback it uses the external player
for navigation, queue add/remove, search, those are done from within xbmc.
Windows and OSX are supported, no dice on linux until silverlight drm works there (might never happen)
If you get a barebones ION system for the price of Windows 7 premium you can get a Blu Ray player that streams netflix. Great synergy with XBMC Live because XBMC can't play Blu Rays, nor can XBMC Live do Netflix. No overlap.

poofyhairguy Wrote:If you get a barebones ION system for the price of Windows 7 premium you can get a Blu Ray player that streams netflix. Great synergy with XBMC Live because XBMC can't play Blu Rays, nor can XBMC Live do Netflix. No overlap.

I already have a PS3 so there is no need to buy another blu ray player. The Acer aspire revo is not that expensive and since its so small and quiet i can just have it always plugged to my tv. For now i will just use my ps3 for blu rays and netflix and my htpc with linux and xbmc for everything else
If you have a PS3, then get the Netflix app for that and stream it there. Then you can have Ubuntu+XBMC/XBMC Live on one and PS3/Bluray/Netflix on the other.

Also, I'd wager that Ubuntu is easier to set up than Windows, but I haven't done a Windows install since XP.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which media center software should I use on my HTPC for my needs?0