Where's xorg.conf?
I've installed Dharma final, and am getting it set up to work off of my work laptop (Dell E6400 with Intel graphics). Everything seems to be working okay, but every once in awhile I'll get the "X" cursor in the middle of the screen that I'd like to take care of, but there's no xorg.conf in the /etc/X11, I've read that an xorg.conf file is no longer needed, but I don't know where else to add options or set things to my liking. Do I need an xorg.conf file, if not, where do I change things, and if I do, how do I create one?
Hi,

Instead of editing xorg.conf, try

sudo apt-get install unclutter

reboot

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Thanks, tried it, but it still does not answer my question, as there are other issues that I'm trying to fix, namely some resolution problems, that I only know how to address via xorg.conf.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is where mine is
Like you said in your initial post, the xorg.conf is no longer needed, it's all auto detection.

However, if you do make one and place under /etx/X11/xorg.conf - it should take all options via that. I think you need to make a complete one though, not just the options you need.
I was able to generate a full xorg.conf via #sudo Xorg -configure. Now that I have the file, I can start getting to the real work and figure out why the laptop sending out video at my TV's native resolution ends up with about half the screen being black but XBMC thinking that everything is showing up.
boykster Wrote:/etc/X11/xorg.conf is where mine is
Good for you, as I stated in the original post, and as others have said, one is not generated by default anymore, but X will use one if it's available.
The subject of your post is: Where's xorg.conf?

I simply answered ;-)
boykster Wrote:The subject of your post is: Where's xorg.conf?

I simply answered ;-)
Without actually reading the post.
pumkinut Wrote:Good for you, as I stated in the original post, and as others have said, one is not generated by default anymore, but X will use one if it's available.

XBMC Live comes with xorg.conf to add in the special settings needed for 24p support. A default xorg cannot use 24p properly.

I performed a new install via burned CD to USB thumbdrive last night, and when I booted my laptop with the thumbdrive, there was no xorg.conf under the /etc/X11 directory, where I am used to finding it. A more thorough search showed that there was no xorg.conf present anywhere. After posting here, I poked around and learned that it's no longer generated by default. It wasn't until I performed a #sudo Xorg -configure command, that a full xorg.conf file was generated, which I then placed in the /etc/X11 directory.

To reiterate, xorg.conf, is not automatically generated upon first boot for everyone anymore. I've seen this across two installs of XBMC Live, and it has been corroborated by others. If it is not there by default it can be created on the fly.
pumkinut Wrote:To reiterate, xorg.conf, is not automatically generated upon first boot for everyone anymore.

Agreed. If you don't have what is deemed fully compatible equipment xorg sticks at its defaults. That is actually the Ubuntu way. But with some hardware that is deemed to be compatible XBMC Live has extra settings to take full advantage of the hardware. The XBMC devs use scripts for different sets of default hardware to maximize compatibility. For example just today I installed Dharma Final XBMC Live on my Zotac ION box and it had a xorg generated for it in the normal spot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where's xorg.conf?0