[Linux] Cheap HTPC & Myth TV
I've been lurking for a while - thinking of building a cheap box that could be used for either HTPC Live or Myth TV. I've read some of the other cheap build threads with great interest...

I had originally thought just an HTPC would be fine, but with user-based billing (UBB) coming to Canada, perhaps it would be best if I could also do Myth TV.

So, I understand that Nvidia GPUs are best for linux, GT220 or better. Gigabyte motherboards (thanks, PHG!). I know the Atom-based processors, with the Nvidia GPUs are fine for HTPC, but are there any fast, but relatively low power consumption processors that would work for Myth? AMD or Intel, I suppose.

Oh, yes. Happy Festivus to all...

TIA
Three Things:

1. XBMC's Linux PVR backend of choice currently is TVHeadend. That sucks for us North Americans because MythTV is far better for us, but if you want to use the PVR work already done for XBMC TVheadend is what you need. Mythbox is another option if you must have MythTV.

2. The main problem with ION and integrated mobo GPUs is that they don't have the raw power needed to de-interlace 1080i video perfectly. I did notice though that XBMC has a ION Optimized de-interlacing setting with offers crappier de-interlacing that ION can handle.

If you want really good de-interlacing you need a GT220 or better (so basically a GT220, GT240, or GT430).

3. Everything involving PVR functions are in a beta state in XBMC. The community is about a year away from unleashing these functions to the masses. You can try to get it going but be warned it is buggy compared to XBMC's main functions. For that reason I often tell people to hold off wanting PVR functions for as long as they can.

Can not the LCD- or plasma de-interlace just as well as a videocard?
Torroa Wrote:Can not the LCD- or plasma de-interlace just as well as a videocard?

Just like with scaling, de-interlacing (I am pretty sure) has to be done in XBMC.

So would an i3 processor have enough horsepower to de-interlace 1080i? What is the equivalent AMD to the i3?

thanx agn
old sparks Wrote:So would an i3 processor have enough horsepower to de-interlace 1080i? What is the equivalent AMD to the i3?

thanx agn

Yes an i3 can do that easy. The equivalent in AMD terms would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103910

Marvelous! Are there any motherboards for the Athlon that has an Nvidia GPU onboard? Well, one that you would recommend as being reliable...

I wonder if Newegg.ca has a Boxing Day sale?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Cheap HTPC & Myth TV0