Install to USB HDD
I hate bringing this up again, but has anyone found a way to install to a USB hard drive? Not a flash-based thumb drive, but a full spinning platter USB hard drive in an external enclosure.

I've tried it with building a unetbooting thumbdrive XBMC Live setup, and from a burnt CD. Both of which take me into the installer, and when I get to the partitioning portion, neither sees the attached and powered USB HDD. Further, going into a terminal and issuing #fdisk -l only shows the flash drive, and not the HDD. Performing an #lsusb shows that it's picking up the USB HDD controller (it's a Cypress based controller), the install routine just will not recognize the drive. I've tried unplugging and then replugging the drive, I've tried leaving the drive unplugged until the disk check routine starts, nothing.

I've got Dharma installed to a USB thumbdrive, but I'd like to move to a HDD because I've already gone through one 8GB thumbdrive due to the amount of writes performed (creeping corruption).
As a slight update, I was able to install Karmic to the USB HDD, update to Lucid, and then install XBMC and set that to autologin, but I'd like to do a more minimal install without all the extra cruft. BTW, a minimal Ubuntu install via thumbdrive would not recognize the USB HDD either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install to USB HDD0