Nokia 5800 XBMC Remote
thkoe002 Wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to XBMC since the Dharma relase and was quite disappointed that there is no remote controll app for the Nokia 5800. So I wrote this one (using code snippets from here and the library from here and the logo from here):

Here are all files.
- First, install python 2.0 (and then the python script shell, if you want to use the .py script instead of the .sis application).
- Secondly, install the xbmc_remote_5800_v1_0_0.sis, it will appear in your programs list. Alternatively, you can copy the xbmc_remote_5800.py to e:\python\ on your phone SD card. You then start it from the script shell->"run script..".
- Third, save the screenshot/background image to e:\python\xbmc_default.jpg. But if you are connected to your wifi, it should automatically do that for you.
Feel free to ask questions or make feature requests here.

Features at the moment:

- basic functionality of the android remote (now working with udp instead of http --> much faster, much more responsive, you can also hold buttons pressed to keep scrolling, etc)
- additional buttons for volume up/down/mute; playlist add/remove/display; subtitles on/off/next; language switch
- in the 5800 button to the upper right:
-- Text input (for searches etc).
-- IP list with names
-- (de)activate tilt input (tilt phone left/right: in/decrease volume, tilt forward: pause; also works when the phone is locked)
-- mousepad (also much more responsive that in the earlier version)
-- update notifier with automatic update download
-- in future releases: playlist editor etc (hopefully).

Known bugs:
problems with setting up the internet connection. Better make sure that you are connected to the wifi from the beginning. If the background image doesn't show, load it from the screenshot above to e:\python\xbmc_default.jpg . But in the newest version it should actually work.

Cheers, have fun

Thomas

sorry , i post wrong thread, pls delete , tks !
ether123 Wrote:Some of those phones, like 5230, don't have wifi, only 3G and bluetooth, so no luck with those i think?

Yes you're right, I got that list from gsmarena.com by searching for all nokia phones with 360x640 resolution, I now included wifi and changed my post now to: Nokia E7, N8, E7, C7, C6, E7, C5-03, X6, C6-01, 5800 XpressMusic, N97, 5530 XpressMusic, X6 8GB, N97 mini, X6 16GB, 5800 Navigation Edition, X7-00 (all of those have this resolution and wifi).
By the way, it would be a minor change of the source code to enable the program to run on arbitrary resolutions, is there any demand for that?
Thanks for creating this app, is really great. And works very good, I'm only having an issue with the text feature. I have the text input wqindows on the XBMC and after inserting the text on the phone, nothing happens. I don't know if have to enable something on the XBMC or just is a problem on my 5800. If you need more information, just let me know.
Hi, yes you'll have to enable to "control xbmc via http" in the xbmc system options; also be sure that the port is the same on your mobile and in xbmc (default would be 8080).
All other controls still work because they use udp, only the left and right mouse button and the text use http.
Hi,
First I really 'd like to thank you for this creation.
Second ... i have a problem ... my device is N8 ... i installed Python 2.0, then the sis package.
the problem is that only 5800 button responds ... the rest is not working Sad
Any suggestions ?

BTW, what preventing you to move it to the OVI store ?
Hi,

first of all thanks, it's cool to hear all this positive feedback.

About the response problems:
Sometimes I also see problems with the controls, most of the time it's because of the IP/port. For instance, after a windows reboot, sometimes your computer will have a new IP etc. Under windows, you can view the current IP by pressing WIN-R -> "cmd" (return) -> "ipconfig" (return), it's then under "IPv4 adress" or so. Also, "allow control via http" should be enabled in xbmc.

Also, one bug of the program still is that the program sometimes (rarely?) doesn't automatically connect to your wifi.
I'm still not sure how to control that (though admittedly, I haven't looked at it too long.. it may be a problem that only appears when your wifi ssid is not broadcasted, i.e. when your wifi is hidden, not sure).. for the meantime, here's what I do to make sure that the connection is established and stays that way is (cumbersome): 1. connect to wifi in the wifi menu, 2. start opera mini and open some website ("connect to wifi" dialogue appears), 3. start xbmc remote. If you do this and the IP and port is set correctly, it should work 100%. Did that help?
In any case, I will soon try to fix this wifi-connection problem, there are oen or two things I could think of that I could try. Is this a problem for anyone else, btw? Or does the remote always connect automatically for you guys?

By the way, if xbmc doesn't react, one way to determine if the problem is the (wrong) IP or the (not connected) wifi, is to look at a button when you press it: if a red x appears in the middle of the button for a brief moment when you press it, it means that your mobile phone is connected to wifi and that your phone successfully *sent* the command. So if the x appears and xbmc doesn't react, it means that the command was sent, but not received, i.e. the IP is wrong.
If the red x does not appear, the command was not even sent -> your phone isn't connected to wifi.

One more (last) thing about this: after you started the program and sent your first command/pressed the first button, wait up until 10 sec to allow your phone to connect to your wifi! After that, every response should be instantly.

And about the ovi store, I'd like it very much to submit the program, but as far as I know, they don't accept pys60 (python) programs. I think I'll ask the support via email about that, the information online is sparse and contradicting. If anyone knows anything about this, please feel free to contact me in this thread or via pn.

Cheers

Thomas
I did all the steps, I put the ip, but I can not configure the connection, put this in the program:

192.168.1.2:8080

I'm missing something?

In xmbc comucicacion enabled http, but nothing happens.
I'm doing wrong?
Make sure that all those checkboxes in the network-menu are activated, "allow control from this ip" and "allow control from other ips" or so.

Then, if it still doesn't work, try the following:

1. run xbmc in windowed mode, not fullscreen.
2. open a webbrowser and enter this adress: http://192.168.1.2:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Mute()
3. watch what happens when you open/refresh that website. Does xbmc mute/unmute when you refresh the website?
If no, then the IP or port is wrong or xbmc isn't configured properly.
if yes:
4. open the website with your nokia phone. Does it work? If yes, I have no clue, if no, the xbmc settings are not correct, i.e. external devices are not allowed.
I did put the adress and the music in the xbmc it be mute.... but the program is not working :S
I do not understand what happens with this program that does not work, just do a hard reset the phone, and still does not work, not the MCRemotev2, I work, I have understood that your program is based on the other, nose what happens.
I have a x6 16 gbs

i did install XBMCRemotev2, this program fuction, whith the port 8080 and the ip ..., I do not understand !!! ...
Thaks for the help!
Hello, first things first, many thanks for this useful app, very nice. I've, however a little request, can you provide the PSD file to customize with my own skin and also to translate the texts?

Thanks in advance,
Hi,

you could have nearly guessed the url Smile http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15199/c/xbmc_default.psd

Have fun!
Thanks!!
Some issues i've noticed using it:

- The app icon is missplaced and very small (i can help you with this if you tell me the icon dimensions)
- When you quit the app it shows the python console and it's ugly and a bit confusing. I suppose that there must be a way to hide this.
- I can't find where to put login/pass to my XBMC machine
- Can't delete IPs from list?
- It could be useful to deactivate the interface rotation when the device rotates, because it doesn't show fine when you rotate device in horizontal mode.

Some ideas:

- It could be useful to have an option to adjust the tilt sensivity and also for the pause/resume movement
- Some visual feedback when starting the app and connecting into the XBMC remote machine (something like: Connecting, please wait... or even better a spinning circle animation)
- The volume button is very small and it's very difficult to use it. It could be better a single button, that when pressed, shows a bigger interface to control the volume up and down.

I can help you with the all graphics if you want.

that's all for the moment, i hope that you can fix this issues, the app is very useful.

regards, keep up the good work!
Hi,

yeah I agree to all of those points (except the icon, it looks fine in the menu of my 5800, is it different on your phone?).. but yeah I can fix that as well, I think I'll just have to create the svg as 128x128 or so.
- very easy to fix/one-liners: python console (actually it was never visible in the "public releases" until I forgot about it in the latest version), login/pass, tilt sensitivity adjustment, visual feedback on the xbmc (TV) screen.
- a little work, but easy: delete IPs, and the volume button. But yeah that bothers me as well, it's hard to hit, I wanted to change that as well.
- no clue: deactivate rotation.. I'll have to read if it's possible to deactivate that from pys60. Personally, I have long deactivated the automatic rotation, it often activates without my intent and takes too much time.

Thanks for the feedback anyways, I'll implement those changes in the next days. Not much time right now, and no python 2.5 to compile the .sis on this computer...
Looking at your screen shot the app icon is fine; i'm using 5800 also, but it looks wrong (it's missplaced and cropped).

I've readed (very fast however) the Nokia API Framework for Python and it looks like you can get access to the sensor to deactivate rotation or at least, to use the same image for both views.

I'll wait for next version with fixes. Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nokia 5800 XBMC Remote0