ATV and HD
Got an external Blu-Ray player from Santa.

Now I'm trying to get one of my Blu-ray discs backed up so I can watch it from XBMC. I have Dharma and CrystalHD setup.

What is the best way to backup movie only so you can watch it with this setup?
I can see that many people are watching HD.

I have DVD Fab but so far, saving to MKV seems too powerful for ATV to handle.

Any guidance on how to get my Blu-rays to HDD and make them watchable from XBMC?
You can rip the DVD keeping original video and audio intact using MakeMKV or the commercial version of DVDFab. Just select the main movie and the standard AC3 or DTS audio track.

Then run those movies that dont work through Staxrip (or any other x264 encoder), use the x264 Flim profile and set the quality level at high or better, for the audio select just mux so it keeps the original AC3/DTS. If you cant find the x264 Flim profile click the device profile blue text you might have selected when Staxrip starts like DivX Plus etc.

I was under the impression that the Crystal HD should be able to handle most Blu-ray video streams in H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2 format although I could be wrong or there may be some which do & do not work (maybe someone else can chime in). I haven't had the chance to test it out yet as my NAS is full so I've been putting all my Blu-ray's on an external HDD & the ATV cannot read the USB NTFS HDD with the Blu-ray's.
Second vote for MakeMKV. Quick and easy.

Will Staxrip transfer subtitles across too? That's an issue I've had with some other tools I've used.

My ATV chokes on VC1 (with a crystalHD installed), but I think that's something to do with my installation. Some AVC (H264) rips cause it to choke, but I firmly believe this is down to available memory rather than anything else. Eagerly awaiting Sam's Dharma USB image so I can get back on track.
Yes Staxrip will keep subtitles and chapter data from file generated by MakeMKV. Staxrip developer actually recommends ripping with MakeMKV rather then ripping media disc structure.

I've been waiting for more final linux/ATV image with XBMC 10.0 now that it's out to test Blu-rays with so hopefully everything works out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV and HD0