[Windows] Adding category on home screen
Hey,

I have a small question and hoping someone can help me out here.
I use xbmc 10 on a mediapc running win7. I installed the new transparency theme (I used the old one and was extatic about it) and this one is even better than the previous one.
Anyway, I have a folder set up on my NAS where I put the movies for my kids. The movies now show up in the category movies which is fine, but seeing my collection is rather extensive they are a bit lost in the pool.
What I would like to do is put the movies for my kids on a seperate category on the homescreen. Just like my movies, but then a seperate category that would just scan the source for my specific dir on my NAS where I put the movies for the kids. Basically I would like the movies category being duplicated but with a different name and a different source to scan.

Is this possible. Please keep in mind that I am no hero in coding and stuff, so if you happen to post code do it in a step by step way. Sort of find that file and add these lines there and there... LOL Coding for dummies sort of speak. Rolleyes

I know I can do it by using say the favourites thing or such, but I've tried it and is far from ideal. Is there a way to duplicate the movies thing and put it on the homescreen with a seperate source to scan?

Thx in advance,
Jerry.

And a Merry X-Mas off course for all!
Hello,

You can easily do this with a "Smart Playlist". In the smart playlist, set TV Shows as the the type, select genre contains animation, genre contains children, match all and save. If you have any other genres you need to add, do those as well.
You can then make this playlist a favorite and then add it to the home menu in one of the places that !T allows.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Mark
Sweet. Just tried it out on a mockup system. (Not the real one yet).

This works like a charm.
Now just for the finetuning.
1. Is there a way to move the custom favourites menu on the home screen next to the movies one (changing the order in which it shows the menu buttons).
2. Is there a way to manually add genres to the movies. He scraped everything from imdb so I have to rely on the consistency of imdb on my disney films etc...
3. Is there a way to change the background image on the custom menu?

Thanx for taking the time on this holiday for answering my question...

Regards,
Jerry
Ok... I figured out the way to change the order in the homescreen and how to change the background image. If anyone is wondering, give a shout in here and I'll post up.

Now just for the genre to be altered in the movies. Anyone has an idea about that? I have some anime movies (granted not much, but still) and they have the animation genre as well... If I would to be using the genre in the playlist, those movies will be included as well and that's not the idea...
Question 
mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

You can easily do this with a "Smart Playlist". In the smart playlist, set TV Shows as the the type, select genre contains animation, genre contains children, match all and save. If you have any other genres you need to add, do those as well.
You can then make this playlist a favorite and then add it to the home menu in one of the places that !T allows.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Mark

I tried the above and everything seems to be right until selecting my custom menu in home menu.
It simply just selects the first movie and starts playing.
I can see when creating link to favourit it also also writes PlayMedia(.... , assuming thats why.
That's funny because I made it exactly like this Youtube clip are showing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWea_PvIkE
Any ideas?
ridderdk Wrote:I tried the above and everything seems to be right until selecting my custom menu in home menu.
It simply just selects the first movie and starts playing.
I can see when creating link to favourit it also also writes PlayMedia(.... , assuming thats why.
That's funny because I made it exactly like this Youtube clip are showing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWea_PvIkE
Any ideas?

Your custom object gets added to the "guisettings.xml" look for it in there and change it from

Code:
PlayMedia(special

to

Code:
ActivateWindow(10025,special
Thank You X!

That did it, 10025 is a pointer to what?
I mean, if i make more playlists i should still use 10025 right?

Is it a bug or can it be fixed somewhere in the settings?
Playlists are set to do exactly that play a list of items which is why PlayMedia is set

10025 is the window id for the videolibrary

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Window_IDs

But yes your have to do the same again if you want playlists opened in library view
Thanks again,

I understand your point why MediaPlay is set, it just makes me wonder why mcborzu in the Youtube Video apparently did not have to do anything to make it open in a window.....
If you watch the video you can add directly from a playlist which he does in the video if you add from favourites in his skin it does exactly the same as Transparency

He's coded it so when you add from a playlist you don't have to manually add any code
ridderdk Wrote:Any ideas?

use the 'Skin Settings > Home Screen > Play playlists in submenus' option
to toggle between 'play' and 'view'.

set it to your preferred setting before adding the playlist to the home menu.
if you wish, you can change this setting again before adding another playlist,
in case some should play and others not.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I missed that setting :o

Should have known you would have thought of it already I changed mine without even looking Rolleyes
On a similar note, is there any way to change the background of a custom menu item? Right now, both custom menu items on my main menu have the same background as settings.
clubwerks Wrote:On a similar note, is there any way to change the background of a custom menu item? Right now, both custom menu items on my main menu have the same background as settings.

Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Home - Custom 1,2,3
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Home - Custom 1,2,3

Oh, crap, I never realized that list kept going 2 pages down. Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Adding category on home screen0