[Linux] Custom HTPC Linux Build
It's finally time to replace my gen1 xbox (circa 2000) with a new HTPC. After reviewing much of the great info in this forum, I've put together a build that I think meets the following goals:

1. Linux based HTPC running XBMC (frontend. Content stored on file server)
2. As quiet as possible
3. Easily upgradeable (Not a pre-built solution)
4. Gigabit Ethernet (I use Jumbo Frames)
5. Powerful enough to run flash based content if I ever decide to do so (Dual boot windows or wait until Linux flash support improves)
6. Upgradeable to be fully 3D compliant in the future (2 years out probably based on my current budget)
7. Emulate old school games on occasion
8. Compatible with my Xbox DVD remote (Harmony Remote in the future)
9. Drive bay for a future Blu-ray drive (When Linux Blu-Ray support improves)
10. Content will mostly be delivered by Usenet + sabnzbd + sickbeard + couchpotato (Thanks Poofyhairguy)

Here's the build:

1. ADATA 32GB S596 SSD HD - $65 - Amazon

2. ZOTAC Zone GT430 1GB Fanless Video Card - $81 - Amazon

3. GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 760G MoBo - $65 - Newegg

4. Antec EarthWatts EA-380D PSU- $45 - Newegg

5. G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) RAM - $42 - Newegg

6. AMD ATHLON II X2 260 3.2 GHZ CPU - $68 - Newegg

7. nMEDIAPC 6000B case Newegg

Total = $435.23

Most of my hardware selections came from these threads:
- Cheap 1080p HTPC for XBMC

- NVIDIA's GeForce GT430: The Next HTPC King

Any thoughts on how I can improve performance for similar price or keep performance similar for less money? Any glaring holes in the gameplan? Thanks in advance.

PhatBass
If 3D support is a "future" thing then you can get buy with a GT210 for now for only $6 AR. GT210

I think the latest Linux Flash supports VDPAU.

If you're looking for something that'll run 1080p you have you have 3 gigs too much RAM, a core and 1 1/2 gHz too many.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I really like this build. Perfect amount of power for what your list of requirements are- emulators love real dual cores.

Only suggestion is, if you can pay, a little extra for the Silverstone case. That case you picked out looks cool, but it has a 80mm fan in it that is guaranteed to be louder than the all 120mm fans in the Silverstone case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163158

This thread is great because I am planning to make an extremely similar build! I was planning to use a GT430, Intel CPU, Gigabyte mobo, SSD, Silverstone case, 4Gb RAM and am still looking for a PSU to work in a HTPC case...

Will keep my eyes peeled on this thread! Nerd
Thanks for the updates. I've swapped out the case for poofy's suggested silverstone case and I've swapped out the SSD for an OCZ SSD due to an amazon price increase. Should have it built with first impressions in about a week. Stay tuned.

PhatBass

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Custom HTPC Linux Build0