ASROCK ION 330 No HDMI Sound
Hoping someone is able to help as I'm just about at my wits end with this one Tongue

I had a running up to date system yesterday with the latest version of xbmc and 10.04 ubuntu. Sound was via a optical out. I've just upgraded my amp and changed the ouptput to hdmi, and no matter what I tried I've been unable to get any sound at all.

My last act of desperation was a clean install of xbmc live, but still no luck.

I've tried most combinations in the audio settings in xbmc and have also unmuted everything in alsamixer and audio mixer plugin.

My aplay - L and aplay -l are as follows:

peter@unknown002618a91acc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
peter@unknown002618a91acc:~$ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=NVidia
HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, VT1708S Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
I can confirm that it works on ASROCK ION 330 with live10. Just unmute in mixer and select hdmi in audio output. If you have done this the problem must lay with the the amp.
I've gone into alsamixer countless times and there alway seems to be one item muted. Is there anything in particular which needs to be done to save the config? Anyway the only thing in there muted now was something called smart 5.1.

So audio to hdmi, and output and passthough to defaults?

It's definitely not the amp, as I've connected directly to the tv and still not getting sound. I've also confirmed that I'm still getting sound via the optical output.
Quote:So audio to hdmi, and output and passthough to defaults?

Yes..but you can also try analog and see if that works. Optical is very easy to get to work, I have never had any problems. Just unmute and it works.
Optical works fine..its the hdmi cable that doesnt.
This help? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79687
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Hi Graysky,

That makes perfect sense however.....

See how that guy has a device 3 which is his hdmi device? Compare that to my apay output above. I only have 2 devices listed and neither of them are hdmi.

Anyone know what determines this (is it hardware or configuration?). My mate has the extact same hardware and he also has a hdmi device in his aplay listing.

I'm guessing this is most likely the issue, however cant find anyone else with the same problem.
Well it almost took me 14 hours to figure out, but better late than never I guess.

My hdmi output was missing from the device list as it had never been enabled from the Bios. I looked for the option earlier but obviously missed it and assumed there wasn't one.

Hopefully this might help someone in the future!! Thanks for the responses anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASROCK ION 330 No HDMI Sound0