Potential AMD HTPC build (feedback please!)
Hi, I want to build a basic XBMC HTPC that can:
- play my video/music/pics from a separate server on local LAN
- play DVDs
- browse the web
- use Youtube
- use Hulu
- use Netflix Watch Now
I want the system to be scalable to 1080p, Blu-ray, and optical audio later, but currently I only have a 720p TV, own zero Blur-ray discs, and have a mid-90s receiver, so all that can wait.

I was planning on installing linux, but realized Netflix is no-go, so I will probably just use one of my Windows 7 licenses for now, and hope Netflix drops silverlight or moonlight supports Netflix.

I've read a lot of the setup threads in this forum, and found them tremendously useful, so hopefully my candidate build below is pretty decent. But please give me any feedback you think of. Also, I just want to say these forums are excellent and it's been great reading all the mature and intelligent posts -- thanks!

Hardware plan:
Antec NSK2480 case w/ 380W PSU
Gigabyte mobo GA-M68MT-D3
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3
Corsair XMS3 4GB 1333 DDR3
Western Digital 1.5TB GreenPower
$20 internal DVD drive

Remote-wise, I want a keyboard for web surfing etc, so I was considering that iPazzPort thing -- anyone have any experience with it?

One key question I have is, will that motherboard's onboard GeForce 7025 graphics be adequate for my current needs, or should I grab a cheap GT210? As I said above, I'd rather just get my feet wet with HTPC and ease it in for optimal WAF-ization, but I'll likely extend things later so if onboard does the job now I'll wait until I need a discrete card. Also, I'm trying to save some $$ for RAIDing up my media server so I'd rather not spend much more than my current Amazon cart (~$360).

Last, I realize people (ie. poofyhairguy) will probably recommend an SSD, but I'd rather try out either the WD HDD above or one of the 7200 ones currently in my server to see if it does the job, then get an SSD later when they have more price/capacity value.

Thanks for any feedback, I really appreciate it!
Look like a good build overall. I like the idea of buying a large HD that will eventually go in your server to get you going- I just hate when people buy small HDs JUST for the HTPC instead of a SSD. That is a waste, what you are doing is smart.

That GPU is not VDPAU compatible so consider the GT210. For a little more it would be a better experience.

poofyhairguy Wrote:That GPU is not VDPAU compatible so consider the GT210. For a little more it would be a better experience.

Ah ok thanks- well in that case, given my needs above does the GT430 buy me any noticeable advantage over GT210?
pine900 Wrote:Ah ok thanks- well in that case, given my needs above does the GT430 buy me any noticeable advantage over GT210?

No. A GT210 is perfect for your needs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Potential AMD HTPC build (feedback please!)0