XBMC-Live package breaks NVidia in Maverick
I am trying to install XBMC using the XBMC Live package on an old HP desktop computer with an NVidia video card running Ubuntu Desktop 10.10. The Ubuntu installation goes through perfectly, I can see the desktop, but when I install XBMC (from the PPA) and reboot, I get an error message that XWindows is running in "low graphics mode." I can exit to a console, and start a standalone session of XBMC without a problem, but the Grub session does not work out of the box. Has anyone seen this before?

-Simon
from my understanding the xbmc-live and xbmc-standalone packages are not supposed to be used with full desktop install. also, you are mixing up various stuff: "nvidia" is not broken, else you would not be able to start XBMC manually. what is a "grub session"?

long story short: if you don't need the ubuntu desktop, don't install it, but go for XBMCbuntu or the live image. OR install xbmc but NOT the xbmc-live package.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
indeed, with the excpeption that xbmc-standalone IS intended for use with a full (=GDM) installation. I suppose he didnt mean that, he is talking about exiting to console but I dont understand either...installing xbmc-live would remove gdm and I dont see how he could get into the deskop after reboot...
okay, now I see: what he probably wanted was xbmc-standalone, but he installed xbmc-live which removed his desktop manager, so the system won't start a gnome session anymore.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:from my understanding the xbmc-live and xbmc-standalone packages are not supposed to be used with full desktop install.

I was going from the XBMCbuntu guide that installed first the standalone XBMC package, then the XBMC-Live package. XBMC-Live installs the XBMC standalone package in it's requirements, so I didn't think that they were mutually exclusive.

Hannes The Hun Wrote:Long story short: if you don't need the ubuntu desktop, don't install it, but go for XBMCbuntu or the live image. OR install xbmc but NOT the xbmc-live package.

I am reinstalling Ubuntu now. I will install just xbmc and report on what happens.
vikjon0 Wrote:indeed, with the excpeption that xbmc-standalone IS intended for use with a full (=GDM) installation. I suppose he didnt mean that, he is talking about exiting to console but I dont understand either...installing xbmc-live would remove gdm and I dont see how he could get into the deskop after reboot...

This will be a standalone machine, only running XBMC. I had previously had an Intel based video card in this machine, and the xbmc-live script worked perfectly. When rebooting, it booted directly into XBMC.

After rebooting, I get the error message that XWindows is running in Low-Graphics mode. Checking the log, it says that the NVidia module is missing. Again, running xinit xbmc-standalone works fine, both before and after the reboot.
Hannes, you are a mind reader!

SimonHova, that guide is for minimal installation without GDM. Not sure why you got the low graphic msg.

There is another guide for installation in desktop.
You only need
sudo apt-get install xbmc
or if you wish
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
Quote:After rebooting, I get the error message that XWindows is running in Low-Graphics mode.
Ok, then.

You are sure you didnt do sudo apt-get upgrade which may break nvidia?

EDIT: either way re-install nvidia

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185 nvidia-settings libvdpau1 nvidia-current-modaliases
vikjon0 Wrote:Ok, then.

You are sure you didnt do sudo apt-get upgrade which may break nvidia?

Yes, I did! Because I upgraded, tested, THEN installed xbmc, I thought it was not the problem.

I am still re-installing Ubuntu, I will try to install without upgrading and report shortly.
vikjon0 Wrote:SimonHova, that guide is for minimal installation without GDM. Not sure why you got the low graphic msg.

I tried following it for Maverick/Dharma, but could not upgrade the NVidia drivers properly using the console, so I used the Desktop version to upgrade the restricted drivers, and remove gdm.
Quote:Yes, I did! Because I upgraded, tested, THEN installed xbmc, I thought it was not the problem.

It is. Most likely the kernel was upgraded and that sometimes breaks stuff.
vikjon0 Wrote:There is another guide for installation in desktop.
You only need
sudo apt-get install xbmc
or if you wish
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone

When I tried to install just the xbmc package, XBMC does not auto-start like it did with the XBMC-Live package.
vikjon0 Wrote:It is. Most likely the kernel was upgraded and that sometimes breaks stuff.

It did upgrade the kernel, and I used apt-get autoremove to remove the old kernel. I am going to try and upgrade again, but set grub to start the older kernel instead of the newer one, and see if xbmc-live works this time.
Quote:When I tried to install just the xbmc package
No, I know but you confused us with the first post...
We now understand that you do want xbmcbuntu.
You might be fine...but it is recommended to use the mini or server CD. It is also possble to use the desktop cd but select the cli pre-seed.
Quote:older kernel instead of the newer one, and see if xbmc-live works this time.
just re-install nvidia AFTER the upgrade

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC-Live package breaks NVidia in Maverick0