XBMC-Live package breaks NVidia in Maverick
I know that it is easier to install the base system from desktop CD, but do yourself a favor, use the minimal or server CD, SSH into the box with e.g. putty, and setup XBMCbuntu according to the wiki.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
vikjon0 Wrote:just re-install nvidia AFTER the upgrade

I tried doing that earlier, but I could not find the proper sequence of apt-get commands to do so. I will try yours next.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:I know that it is easier to install the base system from desktop CD, but do yourself a favor, use the minimal or server CD, SSH into the box with e.g. putty, and setup XBMCbuntu according to the wiki.

What gave me a problem with the XBMCbuntu wiki was the NVidia restricted drivers. If I can get it working properly on desktop, I will reinstall with server and try again.
SimonHova Wrote:What gave me a problem with the XBMCbuntu wiki was the NVidia restricted drivers. If I can get it working properly on desktop, I will reinstall with server and try again.

Unfortunately, I was not able to recover from the loss of the Nvidia drivers after upgrading the kernel and installing the xbmc-live package. I tried your directions posted earlier in purging and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, but XWindows will not start at all.

I am now trying the XBMCbuntu install using the server CD. I will let you know how it goes shortly.
forgive me for the naive question: why don't you try with XBMCLive Dharma (installed on the hdd) so that the installer will (hopefully) do what's needed for you?
I'm relatively new to XBMC (and Linux), so I am going through the guides one by one until I find a configuration that works. I am not familiar with the XBMCLive Dharma you are referring to, can you give me a link so I can try it out?

lcapriotti Wrote:forgive me for the naive question: why don't you try with XBMCLive Dharma (installed on the hdd) so that the installer will (hopefully) do what's needed for you?
I have tried again, using the XBMCbuntu guide and it still does not work. I install the basic configuration of Ubuntu Server 10.10, install XBMC and xinit, and the 185 drivers for NVidia (which is the latest version listed for my system). At this point, if I test XBMC (xinit xbmc-standalone), it works. When I install the xbmc-live package (for automated startup, according to the guide), it does not.

Can anyone help with a suggestion? I am reinstalling Ubuntu 10.10 now.
Lightbulb 
As the title says, my XBMC box is now functioning perfectly. And, in a move that should surprise no one, the problem was with me the whole time.

First, a bit of background. I am using a refurbished HP office computer, that the refurbisher shipped with the onboard video card port covered up, and a second PCI video card installed. When the system worked with the PCI video card, I thought I had disabled the onboard video card, and successfully tracked down the maker of the PCI card as an Intel card, with an NVidia card onboard which was being ignored. Obviously, that was a wrong assumption on my part, and removing Gnome (the one place that this Windows power user feels comfortable figuring out hardware settings) just made things tougher.

When I cycled through the XBMCbuntu guide again, skipping the relevant NVidia settings, it (obviously) worked perfectly. I am plugging the whole thing back into my TV, and sulking back off into the night.

Thanks to everyone for their help and quick responses. I am going to be struggling with a remote next, and am counting on everyone to help me when I make of mess of that too!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC-Live package breaks NVidia in Maverick0