DVD/BluRay discs w/Digital Copy=DRM Hell!
First off, I have no problem if a MOD moves this post to the off topic discussion area, my question fits better there anyway but I can't post there directly.

My issue is that I have a few dvd's/bluray discs from Fox that I can't rip because DVD Fab and MakeMKV can't break the encryption.:mad: At first I think, no big deal because Fox has kindly included a digital copy that I can download and watch on any device I please. This is also a lie. I have to download the file for either itunes or Windows Media Player. If memory serves me correctly I can't play either of those file formats in XBMC right?

What's my best option here?Confused

Hopefully I can get this ripped. I have the other 2 Family Guy Star Wars movies on my HTPC and it would be a shame if I couldn't complete the set.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
so.. it's a pitty, but just download a high quality bdrip from the net.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:so.. it's a pitty, but just download a high quality bdrip from the net.

Is there any program that can convert a win media player or itunes file? I'd rather not turn to piracy right off the bat, especially when I did purchase legal copies.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
Have a look at AnyDVD from SlySoft. I've yet to find a disc that it chokes on. It sits between Windows and your optical drive, and "translates" the data (for want of a better word). All that Windows sees is a disc with all the copy protection magically missing.

MakeMKV complains a little about it (it warns you that you might have problems), but I've never had an issue.

AnyDVD comes as a 30-day trial, so see if it works for you. It's not exactly cheap to buy, but I was so impressed by it I took the plunge. Very happy with it.

Edit: And I agree with the "digital copy" they give you with the disc. Load of crap. The studios are trying to keep control of the digital copies of their movies that are in the wild, and I can understand why they'd want to do that. But these copies are bloody useless, and with AnyDVD and MakeMKV it's trivially easy to make your own copy from the disc, without copy protection, and that you can play wherever you want...
DVD Decrypter ?

http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/
I second AnyDVD HD. It is easier to crack and rip the Blu Ray than mess with the digital copy. I give those disks away to people who are still amazed by playing videos on their iPhone (or as I called it: "2007").

XBMC should support the same formats as iTunes does; but odds are the download would be encrypted, which does lock XBMC out of the picture. I gather there are programs out there that'll remove the encryption, but you will of course need the username/password of the iTunes account the content is locked to in order to use them.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
I ended up getting a trial download of AnyDVD. It broke the encryption just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

This will be the last time I buy one of these movies with the so called "Digital Copy". What's the point of giving a digital copy and then forcing the user into 1 of 2 software platforms. This basically forces people towards pirating.
How to use Git
AnyDVD HD is the best!!
htpc guy Wrote:What's the point of giving a digital copy and then forcing the user into 1 of 2 software platforms.

Because the media overlords are TERRIFIED by people taking their content, by they are also TERRIFIED of 80's style "Fair Use" in an era where we can make perfect digital copies of their stuff with mouse clicks.

Digital copies are the way for the overlords to say:

"See we are letting the movie onto your phone. That is the only thing we know to do with movies other than playing the disks, so we assume this is good enough for you as well."

Seriously, their ludditry knows no bounds.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD/BluRay discs w/Digital Copy=DRM Hell!0