• 2(current)
MKV Optimizer - Save disk space by eliminating unneeded audio tracks
compcentral Wrote:anyone know how to get mkvmerge (the command line version) to display the language/name of a track? I looked through the documentation, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for.

In my batch files, i use mediainfo (command-line version)

MediaInfo also has a DLL version with wrappers for C#, C++ and even AutoIt...

Maybe you want to try with that instead...

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
okay. will do. thanks for the suggestion.
If the program could do the work automatically that would be great.

So I select a few movies with extra audio, and select to delete all german dubbed streams (for example) and hit Go.
Amelandbor Wrote:If the program could do the work automatically that would be great.

So I select a few movies with extra audio, and select to delete all german dubbed streams (for example) and hit Go.

Working on it....

I'll try my hand at queuing jobs in mkvmerge in the next major release.
Major new release! beta 1.11 now includes much more info for each file and includes new search options.
compcentral Wrote:Major new release! beta 1.11 now includes much more info for each file and includes new search options.

Nice, but I don't get any info on the audio tracks. I only get a ?.

Is mediainfo used to retrieve this info?
If so, is the problem the mediainfo path?
Amelandbor Wrote:Nice, but I don't get any info on the audio tracks. I only get a ?.

Is mediainfo used to retrieve this info?
If so, is the problem the mediainfo path?

mkvinfo.exe (part of the required MKVtoolnix app - linked in the first post) is used to get all the detailed info. I'll have to build in a check to alert a user if it is not found (thought that I already had code in there to do that though... hmm).

This path should be specified in the first textbox.
Just out of interest, can you give me an idea as to how much space is saved when removing an audio track (on average) and how long it takes to process each movie?
OpenElec / Silverstone LC17 / 6TB / Toshiba 32WLT68

Get your freshly squeezed recipes, news and views at foodforfriendsyeah.co.uk!
bramblepants Wrote:Just out of interest, can you give me an idea as to how much space is saved when removing an audio track (on average) and how long it takes to process each movie?

It really depends on the length of the film and the encoded bitrate, but for each DTS track removed, I gained about 1-1.5 GB, and about half that for AC3 tracks.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to process each movie for me (using the server listed in my signature), but this depends on CPU/RAM of your PC... maybe even hard drive specs as well.

EDIT: I was curious... so I did the math...

Most DTS tracks seem to use a bitrate of around 1500 Kbps, so assuming the movie is say 100 minutes long:

1500 Kilobits/sec * 1024 bits/Kb = 1536000 bits/sec
1536000 bits/sec / 8 bits/byte = 192000 bytes/sec
192000 bytes/sec / 1024 bytes/KB = 187.5 KiloBytes/sec
187.5 KiloBytes/sec * 60 sec/min = 11250 KB/min
11250 KB/min / 1024 KB/MB = 10.98 MB/min
10.98 MB/min * 100 minutes = 1098 MB saved for 100 minute movie

Most AC3 tracks seem to use a bitrate of around 640 Kbps, so again, assuming the movie is say 100 minutes long:

640 Kilobits/sec * 1024 bits/Kb = 655360 bits/sec
655360 bits/sec / 8 bits/byte = 81920 bytes/sec
81920 bytes/sec / 1024 bytes/KB = 80 KiloBytes/sec
80 KiloBytes/sec * 60 sec/min = 4800 KB/min
4800 KB/min / 1024 KB/MB = 4.69 MB/min
4.69 MB/min * 100 minutes = 469 MB saved for 100min movie

Hopefully that's right... I broke it down in its simplest form so you see how it's fully calculated.
compcentral Wrote:mkvinfo.exe (part of the required MKVtoolnix app - linked in the first post) is used to get all the detailed info. I'll have to build in a check to alert a user if it is not found (thought that I already had code in there to do that though... hmm).

This path should be specified in the first textbox.

I have mkvinfo.exe in that folder, so I don't know why it's not working.
Amelandbor Wrote:I have mkvinfo.exe in that folder, so I don't know why it's not working.

are you sure you have version 1.11 beta? I'll take a look at it in a few minutes when I get home.
Yes, using beta 1.11
Hmm... just tested here again and seems to work fine. Wondering if maybe you have a different version of mkvinfo.exe.

Can you do this for me:

Navigate to the folder where you installed MKVtoolnix and right-click mkvinfo.exe. Click the Details tab as shown and report what you see.

Hmm... I just re-installed MKVtoolnix using the link in the first post and it looks like maybe I was the one with the old version... oops...

But using version 4.4.0.0 had no effect. Everything still works fine for me.
Mkvinfo is version 4.4.0.0
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV Optimizer - Save disk space by eliminating unneeded audio tracks4