XBMC over WiFi
I know that streaming over Wireless G isn't the most optimal solution. WiFi isn't exactly fast, and you definitely notice it when fast forwarding videos (since it can't buffer enough at a time)

However, WiFi is the only solution we have at the moment for one of the XBMC boxes, as running ethernet cables isn't feasible at the moment.

That's fine for now, but I'm thinking about moving to a Live USB implementation -- thus I will probably need to mount both the media share and the user directory over WiFi. I was wondering if this will have any dramatic effects due to the WiFi bottleneck vs just mounting the media share.

Anyone else doing something similar and can share some experience?
xgamer99 Wrote:I know that streaming over Wireless G isn't the most optimal solution. WiFi isn't exactly fast, and you definitely notice it when fast forwarding videos (since it can't buffer enough at a time)

However, WiFi is the only solution we have at the moment for one of the XBMC boxes, as running ethernet cables isn't feasible at the moment.

That's fine for now, but I'm thinking about moving to a Live USB implementation -- thus I will probably need to mount both the media share and the user directory over WiFi. I was wondering if this will have any dramatic effects due to the WiFi bottleneck vs just mounting the media share.

Anyone else doing something similar and can share some experience?

Never used G but all my boxes are N WiFi. The only thing I cant do is something with the bitrate of killasample. Everything else is no problem.
Just to let you know - there is also the option of using the Powerline approach, i.e. network over the electrical network in your house.

It works in some cases and some not depending on your quality. For my father in law it works perfectly. Just as a hint to move away from the WiFi.
Starter kit (Dlink and Netgear) is around 100 Euro...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC over WiFi0