Minimal Maverick, unable to shutdown or suspend
Shutdown closes XBMC and launches it again, Suspend does nothing.

Most likely a permissions problem, however every guide and every answered question I found seems to be outdated. Fro example:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#En...r_to_sleep

Quote:The sleep button in XBMC may not work without running the following:

sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

The polkit-auth command is missing from my HTPC. apt-get install policykit fail to locate the required package. apt-get install policykit-1 reports that the requested package is already installed.

Since none of the guides explains the WHYs, only the HOWs, when something breaks I have no idea how to fix it. So, any idea what should I do to grant the xbmc user the required permissions to shutdown and suspend the system?
In lucid you find the default policy files in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions
Not sure if it is the same in 10.10, I though installing xbmc-live would take care of the policy settings.
I found the policy files (at the same location, IIRC), I have no idea what to do with them...

And it's not Live XBMC, it'ss a ninimal Maverick with XBMC on top.
1) You can cheat and install polkit-auth (search for XBMC 10.10).
2) http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/polkit/p...ity.8.html
http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/06/27/navig...ykit-maze/

I'm going to try and get the 'proper' setup working.

My plan for break is getting 10.10 working without any hacks (apt-get and nano only, no wget'ing unsupported debs). AND sorting the LIRC mess out.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Quote:And it's not Live XBMC
No, but didnt you do
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live as per the xbmcbuntu guide?
Don't remember, it was a long long tine ago - Almost a week ago! :-)

Whichever it was, the xbmcbuntu does not mention 10.10.
I've been trying to fix this as well and it is proving incredibly frustrating, getting nowhere fast.

This is typical Ubuntu, remove a perfectly working solution and give no indication about how to replace the lost function.

It's just like that ridiculous decision to move the windows controls (max / min / close ) to the left instead of the right. Sometimes I really hate Ubuntu.

Anyway, if you have any luck, report back and I can add it to my new Ubuntu Maverick Minimal install script and if I find how to get it to work, I shall report back.
Try sudo apt-get install upower as mentioned in the xbmcbuntu guide, worked for me Smile
proson Wrote:Try sudo apt-get install upower as mentioned in the xbmcbuntu guide, worked for me Smile

Did you edit any files as well (any .pkla files), or just install upower?
Things went from bad to worse...

Using darkscout links, I tried to create a policy allowing the xbmc user access to the org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.* functions. Either I did something wrong or that was not the culprit. Next I tried to add the xbmc user to the required groups, as per the instructions on several webpages including xbmcbuntu:
Quote:usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc

The result: I no longer had mouse and keyboard control from xbmc... Confused

I doubt it's the policy, as it looks like I've returned it to it's original state, so I guess it's the user group settings. Luckily Ubuntu keeps a backup of the group config, which allowed me to return it to its previous state, giving me back the controls. But even adding the missing groups didn't gave me the ability to shutdown or suspend. One thing changed though: now when I try to shutdown, instead of xbmc restarting I get to a console prompt.

Edit: Oh, I think I know what I did wrong. But as it's 2am here and I'm working tomorrow, testing my idea will have to wait. Suffice to say that I gave the wrong priority to the wrong action.
proson Wrote:Try sudo apt-get install upower as mentioned in the xbmcbuntu guide, worked for me Smile

Before testing my idea, I tried yours - and it worked! just installing the upower package (and its dependencies) allowed my to shutdown and suspend (and probably restart, didn't bother to test that) from XBMC.

Thanks to all who helped.
Sadly upower didn't work for me.

Did you install anything else power or hardware related when you install XBMC or did you create any power or polkit-type files?
2 options left, prupert: either your BIOS ist not set to allow S3, or you still need to install hal

AFAIR, hal was removed/substituted in newer ubuntu versions for upower and udisk but in certain situations like yours, it might be worth a try to install it and see if it fixes your problems

also, have a thorough look at the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ubu...end_/_Wake and double-check if something went wrong when you configured suspend.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:2 options left, prupert: either your BIOS ist not set to allow S3, or you still need to install hal

AFAIR, hal was removed/substituted in newer ubuntu versions for upower and udisk but in certain situations like yours, it might be worth a try to install it and see if it fixes your problems

also, have a thorough look at the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ubu...end_/_Wake and double-check if something went wrong when you configured suspend.

I not even trying to use suspend at the mo, just shutdown.

From what I can see, most of http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ubu...end_/_Wake is now obsolete as Maverick doesn't use policykit but instead it uses policykit-1 which no longer includes polkit-auth or the /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf file Sad.

However, thanks for your suggestion, I'll see if HAL works, I am sure however it is a permissions problem, but as polkit-auth isn't available I am not super keen on manually editing and creating .pkla files without being sure I am choosing the correct options. I tried that last time and ended up messing up with the xbmc install altogether such that xbmc didn't load at all Sad
yeah I know, the wiki article needs to be rewritten from scratch or at least divided into release-specific sections due to the changes in the base systems. I'm no expert in the standby/resume stuff but if anybody is willing and able, please go for it.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimal Maverick, unable to shutdown or suspend0