[Apple TV] Help with HD playback with CrystalHD
I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Symptoms: The video file below will playback nice and smooth at 60fps for about 20 - 50 seconds with CPU usage hovering around 45%. Then it drops to about 15fps and the CPU usage dips down into the mid 20's. This is just one example, but I get the same behavior with other files as well.

Here's my saga with all of the information I could think to provide.

SETUP:
1. CrystalHD card I bought from Amazon here.

2. I removed the stock ATV hard drive and put in a different 30gb drive to avoid messing up my ATV-OS install. Then I installed pin87's CrystalBuntu image directly to the hard drive, and followed JDizzy's instructions to update to 10.0 r35648 and I changed the CrystalHD driver to 174 instead of 156 (which from my hours and hours of reading seems to be the way to go, but I could obviously be wrong).

3. Copied the .mkv file to the ATV hard drive to avoid any network latency issues and hit play.

Here is the MediaInfo for the video.

Here is the XBMC log file.

On this particular occasion, the file immediately played at 12fps and CPU usage hovered around 22%. At roughly 3 minutes in, I skipped ahead 30 seconds and the fps jumped back up to 60, and CPU usage up to around 50%. Then after about 30 more seconds, went back to 12fps and 22% CPU usage.

I've had similar performance and behavior using the ATV OS, and booting from a USB drive with both pin87's image or Sam's CrystalBuntu image. I feel like I've tried every combination and read every thread I could locate but just can't get it right.

This forum is the best around and I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks to everyone who has written all the tutorials and things that have gotten me this far! FYI: I am very much a Linux noob, but willing to learn.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Help with HD playback with CrystalHD0