HOW-TO stream your media files to a portable device with VLC Stream and Convert
Okay before anyone jumps down my throat, this is not done with the XBMC Remote app and does not use XBMC to accomplish it.

There is an app on the Android marketplace called VLC Stream and Convert, the developer's homepage can be found here. Instructions are on his web-page how to set it up for streaming over Wifi (Setup takes like 5 minutes) 3g (15 minutes) and VPN. You will need to run VLC on one of the computers on your LAN and have symlinks or on XP mapped network drives to your file sources for your Media. (You could also place VLC directly on your file server.)

After 5 minutes you'll be able to stream your entire XBMC library to your phone even HD content (as long as the computer running the VLC server has enough CPU to transcode it) It works great as a companion to the XBMC remote. When I'm home I use XBMC remote to navigate XBMC, and when I'm away from home I can enjoy my media library on my Android devices. For my SD streaming it works great with an Athlon 64 with 1gb of RAM, and I tested HD streaming with a Intel Core 2 Quad with 4gb of RAM.

Maybe everyone knew this already, I know there was on thread about using VLC as a possibility for the XBMC remote, but I figured while we wait for XBMC to incorporate a transcode engine, this is a GREAT solution!

Love XBMC and still have Xbox's running it along with my HTPC's Smile Thanks all who are developing for Android!
what phone and htpc do you have this running on?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
As I said in my first post, I'm using an Athlon 64 with 1gb of RAM as the VLC server, I'm not running it directly on my HTPC.

I've tested it with the Nexus One, G1, and Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO stream your media files to a portable device with VLC Stream and Convert0