Can't see Windows 7 Shares via XBMC Live on Shuttle XS35GT
This has really been kicking my butt. I've done a ton of searching and tried a ton of different things but can't seem to access the shares on my Windows 7 box via XBOX Live running on my new Shuttle XS35GT.

Here is my info:

XBMC Box
Shuttle XS35GT w/ 2 GB RAM (No HDD)
XBMC 10.0 r35628 (Compiled: Dec 17 2010)
OS: Linux 2.6.32-26-generic #48 Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS - XBMC Live Dharma
OS Running on: USB Stick

Windows Machine with Shares
Windows 7 Home - 64 Bit
Security Essentials

Here's what I can tell you:
  • XBMC running on a Windows Machine has no problems accessing the shares.
  • I seem to be able to access shares on a Windows XP machine via the Shuttle box without problems.
  • When I try to access the share via the Shuttle box it does not validate the username & password.
  • The shares on my Windows 7 box are setup for Everyone with rw access.

I have tried many different things and read an endless amount of posts. Nothing seems to have worked for me.

What the heck am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I have wasted on this issue.
I had a lot of trouble with Win7 shares and XBMC over the last two versions.

Things to try:
Uninstall Windows Live Sign In Assistant
Mount your windows shares via autofs (see my blog below)
Try 'add network share' instead of browsing to your share
Use something like Hanewin NFS to set up NFS shares instead
Search these forums - there are lots of similar issues around!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
bossanova808 Wrote:I had a lot of trouble with Win7 shares and XBMC over the last two versions.

Things to try:
Uninstall Windows Live Sign In Assistant
Mount your windows shares via autofs (see my blog below)
Try 'add network share' instead of browsing to your share
Use something like Hanewin NFS to set up NFS shares instead
Search these forums - there are lots of similar issues around!

I've done all that except use something like Hanewin NFS to set up NFS shares instead. It's pathetic how much time I have wasted on trying to get it to work and researching the issue. I realize a lot of other people have the problem, but none of the solutions seem to be working for me. I've tried to make the changes on more than one Windows 7 box as well.

I'm not too worried about it at this point. I have a Windows Home Server coming anyway. I can see a XP share without issue. Hopefully I don't have any issues with the WHS box.

A lot of what I have read points the issue at something to do with a certificate in Samba. I've updated Samba and still have the issue. Not really sure.

Thanks for the reply though. I also have been following your blog posts. Thanks for that.
clambert Wrote:This has really been kicking my butt. I've done a ton of searching and tried a ton of different things but can't seem to access the shares on my Windows 7 box via XBOX Live running on my new Shuttle XS35GT.

Here is my info:

XBMC Box
Shuttle XS35GT w/ 2 GB RAM (No HDD)
XBMC 10.0 r35628 (Compiled: Dec 17 2010)
OS: Linux 2.6.32-26-generic #48 Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS - XBMC Live Dharma
OS Running on: USB Stick

Windows Machine with Shares
Windows 7 Home - 64 Bit
Security Essentials

Here's what I can tell you:
  • XBMC running on a Windows Machine has no problems accessing the shares.
  • I seem to be able to access shares on a Windows XP machine via the Shuttle box without problems.
  • When I try to access the share via the Shuttle box it does not validate the username & password.
  • The shares on my Windows 7 box are setup for Everyone with rw access.

I have tried many different things and read an endless amount of posts. Nothing seems to have worked for me.

What the heck am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I have wasted on this issue.

Try these two articles, one changes the MTU settings and the other allows you to change the advanced settings on sharing. This seemed to resolve my issues with being prompted for a password.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ows+shares

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ows+shares
Running Win7 64bit with share and no problem to access them over the network:

I cannot exactly remember but doesnt XBMC also connect to a workgroup, just like Windows?

What permissions do you have on your share?

And how do you connect to your share, by you computer name or by IP address?

Frank, Norway
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to mess with this stuff tonight. I recently bought a WHS and have been setting it up. I have had no problems accessing it from xbmc.

I'll let you know how these suggestions work out though.
Hopefully they have removed the drive extender technology in whs.
I had that up and running a year ago, never in my life have i had so much corrupt and lost data Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Well, I give up. I did try several of the suggested items in the posted thread and had no luck. Other machines within my network see the shares without any issue. XBMC on a Windows 7 box sees everything just fine. I've got Homegroup disabled and the directories are shared to Everyone. It's basic stuff, I know.

Honestly, however, it's not that big of a deal anymore anyway. I just purchased a WHS (not because of this issue) and XBMC on Linux has no problem seeing those shares. It's now the heart of my media, so I'm good.

I appreciate all who tried to help anyway. Many thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't see Windows 7 Shares via XBMC Live on Shuttle XS35GT0