Best hardware for my needs?
Hi guys,

I know this is the same question asked time and time again, but I guess everyone has their special needs and supply problems Smile

I'm looking for a great low cost HTPC to run XBMC.

Long time XBMC on XBOX user, but I want to now start playing HD content.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing about the Zotac's but just not sure exactly which would be the best buy.

Id like to know what would be needed (all in) to get this running)

Budget: Between $300-400 Canadian
Suppliers: best I could think of is NEWEGG.CA or NCIX.COM unless you know of others in Canada.
What I have:
- Samsung LN46C530 TV http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/s...d4a862en02
- Sony HTSS370 Home Theater system http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/s...5c93d9en02
- Harmony 300 remote
- Windows 7 workstation with SMB shares (all files are on this PC for now)
- WIFI router DIR-825 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681
- WIFI Bridge DAP-1522 (at HTPC end, currently for XBOX) http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=663

==========================================

I think that covers it.

Id like to go SSD for quietness and since all files are streamed remotely I dont need a big HD so a 16 gb SSD HD should suffice.

My wifi is 2.4ghz N (tried 5ghz, just doesnt go through walls).

I'm guessing a will need an IR receiver, unless the htpc box comes with one.

I'm no Linux expert, but I work in IT/security I know how to dable in it. I dont mind taking time to setup, I just dont want to have to keep tinkering with it after intial setup.
I wont be using it for much else than a media center.

I think that covers it. Whatever your best suggestions would be great. I've been looking at the shuttles and zotacs, just not sure which would be best for now and to last me at least 3-4 years.

Thanks in advance guys.
If I missed anything or you have questions, let me know.
Won't be using it for "much else" or "anything else" than an HTPC? If you're looking for other capabilities, best specify them now.

The Atom/ION machines will handle anything you can reasonably chuck at them just now (1920x1080). An AppleTV with a CrystalHD card is pretty close, and cheaper (I went XBox -> ATV), but you'll lose the wireless.

802.11N wireless *should* handle HD movies. On a straight Blu-Ray rip I'm getting about 40Mb/sec which you won't get down an 802.11G "53Mb/s" wireless link however optimistic you are. N should cope as long as it's a good signal, but you have to make sure that your storage is wired directly into the network, rather than wireless. Otherwise you'll be sending the data wirelessly twice - once to the router and once to the HTPC.

If you want to do 3D, though, you're effectively decoding 3840x1080 images (or 2x1920x1080 if you like), which won't work with either of these. Some of the newer NVidia chips can handle that, but not many, so think carefully about the "at least 3-4 years". And your wireless won't accommodate 2 streams of 40Mb/sec, so you might want to start figuring out how you're going to get the Cat5e between your storage and player in the future.

No, that didn't really answer anything, so look at it this way. For HD stuff that just works, get an Atom/ION machine. All of them will work if you make sure they have 2GB of RAM and put a Linux installation on them. For storage, a number of the AppleTV users are running Linux distros that fit in 4GB USB drives, so you don't need much at all (16GB will be acres). Make sure you get a computer that does Wireless-N, and if it has internal IR so much the better (but it's only a little USB doofer to add it). Beyond that, what's cheap, and what can you sneak past the wife?
I second the ION suggestion. Be sure to get a HP IR receiver for that Harmony.

I'll just be using it for an HTPC.

Check on the HP IR receiver, will order one pronto.

For the wireless I already have a wireless bridge receiver which is N capable, so no matter what the HTPC has I can use that.

I dont care for 3D at all.

I guess at this point I'm wondering, which is the best sub 300 ION system to buy, Shuttle? Jetway? Zbox (which)?
I think you should get a HD-ID11. Add a SSD or just a regular laptop drive and some memory and you are good to go. The Shuttle XS35GT does not come with WIFI (the barebone version). The Jetway seems stupid to me. On Newegg it has RAID support and 4 SATA ports apparently....but just space for 2 2.5" HDDs...who will bother raiding that?

HD-ID11 all the way and its not too expensive either.
Common misconception on the barbones XS35GT Shuttle. As per this users experience (and several other places), the barebones unit DOES have wifi.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88693

EDIT: And just to chime in, as I appear to be in the exact same boat as you are (looking at shuttle or zbox)... Pro for the shuttle, fanless. Pro for the zbox, can normally find it about 20 bones cheaper
Con Shuttle: Only eight CUDA cores. temporal(_spatial)-deinterlacing for 1080i does not work if you want to watch interlaced content (e.g. live tv).
jbo87 Wrote:Con Shuttle: Only eight CUDA cores. temporal(_spatial)-deinterlacing for 1080i does not work if you want to watch interlaced content (e.g. live tv).

If you want 1080i, all ION1/2 systems aren't up to the task. NONE have enough general purpose shaders. You need GT220/GT430 level hardware to do that, ION2 is GT218.

AT5ion-t can deinterlace 1080i. Look here.
So it comes down to these two for me:

Shuttle XS35GT:
- Fanless (silent)
- A little harder to setup than ID11
- Several people mention freezing once in a while
- Wireless usable

Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11-U:
- Proven
- Easiest to setup and get running
- Wireless not worth 2 cents

I dont know if I forgot anything.

kollock, since you are at the same point as I am in this reflection, anything else to add in?

Thanks for everyones input BTW, its really appreciated.
[quote=SpIcEz]Long time XBMC on XBOX user, but I want to now start playing HD content.
QUOTE]

Hopefully, you're a Telus or Shaw subscriber out west, because if you're with bHell or Robbers (or Primus or even Teksavvy), streaming HD will be quite expensive under UBB. Sad

http://stopusagebasedbilling.wordpress.com/
I'm in Montreal. Currently with a Bell reseller (Acanac) and yes it could be a problem.

However I'll be switching to Teksavvy Unlimited Cable soon for 80$.
A little expensive, but at least I'll have no limit.

I know what you mean though, options in Canada are dwindling down fast.
I deal with throttling every day and its a PITA.
jbo87 Wrote:AT5ion-t can deinterlace 1080i. Look here.

Even old ION can technically de-interlace 1080i at a basic level. It takes a GT220 level of power to de-interlace 1080i with all the settings cranked.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best hardware for my needs?0