[AppleTV] Subtitles causing frame drops in Dharma
After updating to the latest 10.0 release from ancient r28256 I've noticed frame drops when enabling subtitles. I got couple of drops almost every time they appear on the screen after prolonged time of absence.

Here's my debug log (last few lines of it describe what is going on there)

http://pastebin.com/yXfQmx8E

Again, this is not happening when subtitles are disabled.

I'm using Sam Nazarko's latest beta image (Ubuntu 8.04 + Crystal HD), Dharma release, CHD drivers 3.8.0 (r174), audio through optical.

Any ideas? Thanks!
HTPC: XBMC Gotham 15.2 on Intel NUC DCCP847DYE (Intel Celeron 847), 2GB RAM, Samsung PM830 SSD, OpenELEC 6.0.0
SYSTEM: Panasonic TX-P65ST50, Pioneer VSX-922K, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 + Diamond 9.CS + SW150 sub, Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Same problem here, but on Linux. Using Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 maverick v3 (Ubuntu 10.10, XBMC 10.00) installed on HDD, running on AT5IONT-I.

Log: http://pastebin.com/M92vmRJZ

I stopped the video few seconds (2 or 3) after I noticed the frame drop which happens always at this place (subtitle appears at the same time or right after the frame drop), exit XBMC and get the log.

Same frame drops happens from time to time while watching a video with subtitles. The same video with subtitles disabled runs smooth.
Same issue happening with my AppleTV
Dug up this old threat just to clarify that the cause of the issue is the XBMC Live package.

Recently I've upgraded from AppleTV with CrystalUbuntu installed to Zotac ZBOX (Atom D510 + ION). I've installed XBMC Live Dharma package and found out that it has EXACTLY the same issue - framedrops when subtitles appear. Though it is less noticeable than on Apple TV (due to more powerfull hardware) and I guess you won't notice it on some C2D+ systems, but it is there on Atom-based PCs.

The reason I'm sure that it is XBMC Live issue is that I've installed Win7 on Zotac and everything runs smooth on Windows version of Dharma!!!!

It really surprises me that no one notices this issue on Dharma!!! And the bug is still exists on the latest nightlies (I've tested them on Apple TV)....

I'd love to use lightweight XBMC Live distro on my HTPC, but it is no go with framedrops on subtitles ;(

I think it is the issue of VDPAU implementation in Linux, since the Dharma works fine on Windows.

I'm not a developer and do not familiar with open sourse projects, so can someone post a bug report somewhere about it?
HTPC: XBMC Gotham 15.2 on Intel NUC DCCP847DYE (Intel Celeron 847), 2GB RAM, Samsung PM830 SSD, OpenELEC 6.0.0
SYSTEM: Panasonic TX-P65ST50, Pioneer VSX-922K, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 + Diamond 9.CS + SW150 sub, Logitech Harmony 880 remote
bass63 Wrote:Dug up this old threat just to clarify that the cause of the issue is the XBMC Live package.

Recently I've upgraded from AppleTV with CrystalUbuntu installed to Zotac ZBOX (Atom D510 + ION). I've installed XBMC Live Dharma package and found out that it has EXACTLY the same issue - framedrops when subtitles appear. Though it is less noticeable than on Apple TV (due to more powerfull hardware) and I guess you won't notice it on some C2D+ systems, but it is there on Atom-based PCs.

The reason I'm sure that it is XBMC Live issue is that I've installed Win7 on Zotac and everything runs smooth on Windows version of Dharma!!!!

It really surprises me that no one notices this issue on Dharma!!! And the bug is still exists on the latest nightlies (I've tested them on Apple TV)....

I'd love to use lightweight XBMC Live distro on my HTPC, but it is no go with framedrops on subtitles ;(

I think it is the issue of VDPAU implementation in Linux, since the Dharma works fine on Windows.

I'm not a developer and do not familiar with open sourse projects, so can someone post a bug report somewhere about it?

I watch nothing but anime on my ATV1 running CrystalUbuntu and haven't noticed any frame drops. I'm watching some anime right now (720, stylized subs) and it's all smooth sailing.

Tell us which files you are having problems on. Use MediaInfo on the files. Upload your XBMC.log file (with debugging on) to pastebin. Those are all ways you can help us ID this problem. The likely reason it isn't fixed yet is most people aren't having that issue, but it doesn't mean the issue isn't there. You can help us find it, but we need more info. Also take a look at:

HOW-TO post about a XBMC for Mac or Apple TV problem in a useful manner
Ned Scott Wrote:I watch nothing but anime on my ATV1 running CrystalUbuntu and haven't noticed any frame drops. I'm watching some anime right now (720, stylized subs) and it's all smooth sailing.

Tell us which files you are having problems on. Use MediaInfo on the files. Upload your XBMC.log file (with debugging on) to pastebin. Those are all ways you can help us ID this problem. The likely reason it isn't fixed yet is most people aren't having that issue, but it doesn't mean the issue isn't there. You can help us find it, but we need more info. Also take a look at:

HOW-TO post about a XBMC for Mac or Apple TV problem in a useful manner
You know that most of the time anime is rendered at 12 fps, right? Wink I just don't think that you're are able to notice that slight judder on that source material.

Anyway, I'm sure that it's a XBMC Live distro problem, so I've posted report to the XBMC Live Support forum. Hope someone will notice and fix this.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=891413

Could you please try to recreate the problem on your setup? I'm just curious. You can find all the info and files in the post mentioned above.
Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Subtitles causing frame drops in Dharma0