How to decode MP3 & FLAC?
I use an ASRock ION 330 (Ubuntu 9.04) connected to a H/K AVR355 via HDMI.

I can bitstream all the Dolby and DTS's but because the AVR doesn't decode MP3 and FLAC I obviously get no sound.

Is it possible for XBMC to decode these and pass them as PCM via HDMI?
Surely someone must have an idea?
I'm not certain where you problem lies. My receiver too only decodes DTS, AC3, and WMA but not MP3/FLAC/OGG/WHATEVER natively. I'm also connected via HDMI.

I get all music without issue as standard stereo (or various dolby/thx surrounds) and movies as their AC3/DTS encodings.

Keep in mind that in Linux there are two locations for setting audio output. One is for stereo sound and the other is for passthrough. Make certain you have the stereo output set. Using an NVIDIA GT210 my standard audio is "Nvidia HDMI High Definition Stereo" and my passthrough is "HDMI"

Cheers!
I take it this is in your XBMC settings?

Are you able to hear an MP3 for example through the media player in Linux?

When at the Linux desktop I used which ever player Ubuntu comes with to test an MP3 and I still get no sound.
Okay I am 1/2 way there.

I checked the Sound settings in Ubuntu and sure enough it was set to "Auto". I changed it to HDA NVidia NVIDIA HMDI (ALSA) and now I get MP3 & Flac playback in Ubuntu.

However, the only options I have in XBMC's Audio Output Device are default, custom and HDA NVidia - VT17008S Analog.

I would imagine I need this to be "HDA NVidia NVIDIA HMDI (ALSA)".

How to get it is the question, or better yet, why isn't it showing up?
THIS should likely get you close. Good luck and let us know if you require further help.
Truly amazing.

I did everything to the T in that post and still could not get mp3/flac etc to work in XBMC (still couldn't select HDA NVidia NVIDIA HMDI (ALSA) as an option), although working fine in Ubuntu.

I ran $aplay -L again (although $ wouldn't work for me so I used sudo instead) and just kept looking at the last entry...

Code:
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

So I jumped back into XBMC/System/Audio Output Device and used the custom option and typed "hdmi" (minus the quotes).

Bingo!

MP3/Flac etc now gets decoded by XBMC and DTS/DD still gets bitstreamed.

I must thank you for bringing that guide to my attention.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to decode MP3 & FLAC?0