[Windows]XBMC Crash with redirected appdata
I get the CApplication::Create failed when trying to launch the program and I think it has to do with the fact that my Roaming AppData directory is not local to my profile.

I have a roaming profile set on all my machines in my domain so that my downloads, documents, appdata all redirect to my SAN. The issue seems that since my appdata folder isn't local to my profile XBMC doesn't know what to do. \\server\share\myprofile\roaming\xbmc is there so it looks like the app created it on launch or install. I tried copying it to the local appdata directory C:\Users\MyUN\AppData\Roaming but XBMC still doesn't launch. The directory doesn't seem to be getting updated because the time stamps are still saying 12/2010 which is when I installed it.

If I log on using the local admin account that doesn't have a roaming profile/folder redirect XBMC works like a boss.
I have the same problem - latest xbmc build, windows 7 x64, domain environment with roaming profiles, including the "application data" folder.

the user and the application have full access to this folder.
You could try running in portable mode. If you append -p to the target in the XBMC shortcut so it looks like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

Then XBMC will store the user data in "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\portable_data". Note that only administrator has write access to the "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory. If you aren't logged in as administrator you will need to grant your account Modify access to the XBMC folder or join your account to the Administrators group and turn off user access control.

JR
Just reporting that the same is happening for me, same setup. Any ideas why this is happening?

I'll use the work around for now. thanks. Smile
Would be awesome if they could get this sorted!
I'd like to carry the data throughout my house on different machines.......
As I recall it's a known bug and there's even a patch for it on a ticket somewhere in trac.xbmc.org. It's just awaiting a developer with nothing better to do. Sadly that isn't me, as I'm currently fighting with the keyboard handling code.

JR
Bump (my first XBMC experience) CApplication::Create() Failed Check log file

Joy, good thing I ran into this thread eventually, it was a bit of a bummer to not work right after install on a clean system.

Yes, right here, also using redirected folders and more. (So not 100% Windows OS compatible yet Wink )
Fortunalty, the -p parameter worked.
Though... the log file seems to be in the wrong place?

First thing I did was reacting to the error message, looking for a log file. Not seeing one, I read about advancedsettings.xml, adding the logfile setting, thinking that was why I had none. Looking again at AppData\XBMC and then expecting it in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC, no logfile. Then I saw it in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\portable_data (wish I had seen this thread sooner). It is not mentioned as a place in log file.
I suppose it would be hard for pc illiterate ppl to even find the logfile for more info. Maybe redirect it automaticly to a writable location like the Temp folder and mention that in the error message?

I wouldn't mind a bit of offline help(file) when the program can't be started / has errors.

OK, awaiting an update for this Windows feature then, everything looks great so far; keep it up.
(nice to see it used a default c++ runtime from microsoft and not a self made one)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows]XBMC Crash with redirected appdata0