How to default to AC3 audio track? (Mac, Handbrake, MP4, AC3)
Handbrake creates the file as the AppleTv wants it with the first stereo track for maximum compatibility and so that the file can be played on any device
As that tracked is marked as default that is what XBMC tries to play
This is the behaviour as designed, if you don't need the analogue track just to a new profile in Handbrake, what's that to do with XBMC?
I think that the developer of the Mac Gui of Handbrake has already established that... What everyone is asking is for the "set as default" to work in XBMC and not have to have people encode differently.
It is not difficult to create your own handbrake profile and get over it
I am not sure how XBMC should default to the non default audio track? Sounds silly
I have done HB profiles that do what I want, difficulty 0
interceptor121 Wrote:It is not difficult to create your own handbrake profile and get over it
I am not sure how XBMC should default to the non default audio track? Sounds silly
I have done HB profiles that do what I want, difficulty 0

Let me tell you what's simpler to understand:

1. Keep IOS surround sound compatibility
2. Allow an option that is already present in XBMC to work

I promise you that dyna and I know the ins and outs of creating presets and compatibility (as we probably been doing it longer than most on this board). It is not a matter of just changing the track order and having a file that plays correctly on IOS and XBMC.

Yes, you can create a preset that puts the AC3 track 1st and Pro Logic 2nd...good luck getting that to play on your iphone or AppleTV IOS, etc.
I don't even other with MP4 unless I wanna watch the movie on my iPhone.
I rip to MKV and add only AC3 and DTS tracks with the respective passthrough option. As I also need soft subtitles (not hard encoded), MKV is the best.

Oh, I don't even have a soundsystem yet, just the TV speakers (also Mac mini via HDMI) and I can clearly hear the soundtrack. Why bother with AAC?
attilag78 Wrote:Why bother with AAC?
As far as I can tell this is not the issue the op nor myself nor D-Tyme is discussing here. The reason for the aac is obvious and has been explained. The issue is the save audio track choice in xbmc to all movies function not working correctly. Thats all. No one is slamming xbmc. Merely pointing out a bug and discussing possible workarounds in xbmc itself.
dynaflash Wrote:As far as I can tell this is not the issue the op nor myself nor D-Tyme is discussing here. The reason for the aac is obvious and has been explained. The issue is the save audio track choice in xbmc to all movies function not working correctly. Thats all. No one is slamming xbmc. Merely pointing out a bug and discussing possible workarounds in xbmc itself.

Sure. I don't experience the bug as I use XBMC (and rip my DVDs) obviously in a different way. This is why I just don't see the point of the AAC track for the regular XBMC use on a TV, regardless of a bug in XBMC. Sorry for causing grief, I didn't mean it.
dynaflash Wrote:As far as I can tell this is not the issue the op nor myself nor D-Tyme is discussing here. The reason for the aac is obvious and has been explained. The issue is the save audio track choice in xbmc to all movies function not working correctly. Thats all. No one is slamming xbmc. Merely pointing out a bug and discussing possible workarounds in xbmc itself.

Well, it's hard to tell if that's a bug or intention. One could object that a track marked 'default' should play always as someone marked it like that intentionally :-)

Nevertheless, with iOS onboard change should probably be done.

My files are
1. aac Czech (for iOS compatibility)
2. ac3 Czech (for kids)
3. ac3 English (for wife & me)

So I would welcome if it would give me the right one judging by platform and/or audio output configured in audio settings.

BTW. Nice to see you around :-)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I reported this a while ago. It's still being actively pursued, although the requirement has changed quite a bit since it's now more about picking the "best" audio track and language instead of defaulting to one.

Read: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6666 and http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5773
I think there is a play on words here..."default" is just the first track. XBMC allows you to change the track to play as default and save said settings to apply to all your movies. At one time this worked...now it doesn't.

Myself, I don't worry about it too much as I rip for purpose (i.e. Media Center full 1080p /w DTS Lossless, Kids ATV /w Stereo, etc.). Quad-core i7 iMac makes this doable and resonable. But I do like to have the option back for my earlier, IOS compatible, rips.
D-tyme Wrote:I think there is a play on words here..."default" is just the first track. XBMC allows you to change the track to play as default and save said settings to apply to all your movies. At one time this worked...now it doesn't.

You are right. I just looked at tickets dan1son posted and it seams we need someone with a time and knowledge to push this through. It seams that devs don't have time to do it.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:You are right. I just looked at tickets dan1son posted and it seams we need someone with a time and knowledge to push this through. It seams that devs don't have time to do it.

Agreed.

I think the method of selecting the best is far superior to making the default stick since not every movie you're going to have was ripped in the same manor or from the same source. Some might have a DD and DTS tracks (raw dvd rips, blu-ray, etc.) and it'd be nice if it picks DTS if that's there. Some might have the commentary on track 2 and setting the default would make that play... etc.

The language thing is irrelevant for me since I pretty much only have English titles, but I could see how foreign and anime fans would want language defaults as well.
dan1son Wrote:I think the method of selecting the best is far superior to making the default stick since not every movie you're going to have was ripped in the same manor or from the same source.

Yes, but it should probably also depend on platform and default language chosen in Xbmc.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

D-tyme Wrote:Quad-core i7 iMac makes this doable and resonable.

You lucky .... :p
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

dan1son Wrote:Agreed.

I think the method of selecting the best is far superior to making the default stick since not every movie you're going to have was ripped in the same manor or from the same source. Some might have a DD and DTS tracks (raw dvd rips, blu-ray, etc.) and it'd be nice if it picks DTS if that's there. Some might have the commentary on track 2 and setting the default would make that play... etc.

The language thing is irrelevant for me since I pretty much only have English titles, but I could see how foreign and anime fans would want language defaults as well.

"Best" wouldn't always be the best either (no pun intended). Example, If I have a ATV running XBMC but it is only connected to a TV, then I wouldn't want the AC3 track to play...

EDIT: well thinking about it, I guess it wouldn't matter, as XBMC will downgrade it automatically anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to default to AC3 audio track? (Mac, Handbrake, MP4, AC3)0