• 4(current)
HOW-TO customize the home menu with custom categories
Talontd Wrote:...but can't figure out how to create one for a smart playlist. I'm a n00b with xml but pick stuff up quickly and can follow directions. If you could show me how to create one, i'm sure i could apply that to the rest on my own.

Edit: Almost forgot, would you also know of a way to add the "Recently Added" info box to the TV Shows playlist?

Thanks for all the hard work and taking the time to read this.

Something that is missing from the tuorial is indeed how to create a submenu from scratch. I only edited one from an existing item.

I'm currently installing XBMC on my desktop (my media player is still broken and I been too lazy to send it for repairs). Then this weekend i'll update the tutorial but with the anime series and movies in a sub categorie.

As for the "Recently Added", no idea at this time. Might have a look at it when i'm done with the sub categories. But no promises there.
Thanks Myth, this "How-to" has helped me alot...

atm my home menu looks like:
MOVIES
TV-SHOWS
CARTOON
DOCUMENTARYS

When I browse the Movies and TV-Shows category I get the fanart backdrops for yhe movie / series, but not while browsing the cartoon and documentary category.

Movies, Cartoon and Documentarys are all smart playlists added your way

Code:
<item id="17">
    <label>FILM</label>
    <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,"special://profile/playlists/video/film.xsp", return)</onclick>
    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/movies.jpg</icon>
</item>
<item id="3">
    <label>20343</label>
    <onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoLibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</onclick>
    <include condition="!Skin.HasSetting(Home_TVShows_Fanart_Background)">home-tvshows-background</include>
    <include condition="Skin.HasSetting(Home_TVShows_Fanart_Background)">home-tvshows-background-fanart</include>
    <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(Menu_TVShows)</visible>
</item>
<item id="18">
    <label>TECKNAT</label>
    <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,"special://profile/playlists/video/tecknat.xsp", return)</onclick>
    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/videos.jpg</icon>
</item>
<item id="19">
    <label>DOKUMENTÄR</label>
    <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,"special://profile/playlists/video/dokumentar.xsp", return)</onclick>
    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/dokumentar.jpg</icon>
</item>

So Why does the movie "FILM" category show the fanart
while the cartoon "TECKNAT" and documentary "DOKUMENTÄR" dont show it, only shows popcorn... and I hate the smell of popcorn Sad

Thanks again Myth for all the time you put into it Smile
How to create your own sub menu

Due to popular demand, here's some more information about sub menu's in Transparancy!. This post will be rather straight to the point, but i'm hoping after reading the main tutorial you should be able to customize this the way you want it. If you are having trouble, post here and i'll try to help.

As an example we'll be making 1 Anime home menu, with Anime Series and Anime Movies as sub menu. I was trying to get the main menu item to show both the movies AND the series. But havent been able to get it to work (so far).

The smart playlists
Anime Series.xsp
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="tvshows">
    <name>Anime Series</name>
    <match>one</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">/Anime/</rule>
    <order direction="ascending">tvshow</order>
</smartplaylist>
Anime Movies.xsp
Code:
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Anime Movies</name>
    <match>one</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">/Anime Movies/</rule>
    <order direction="ascending">title</order>
</smartplaylist>

The skin configuration, Includes_Home.xm
Main menu item
Find
Code:
                <item id="16">
                    <label>$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom3_Label)]</label>
                    <onclick>$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom3_Path)]</onclick>
                    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/settings.jpg</icon>
                    <thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(Home_Custom_Back_Custom3_Folder)]</thumb>
                    <visible>Skin.HasSetting(Menu_Custom3)</visible>
                </item>
You will find this 2 times, once for the vertical menu, once for the horizontal menu.
After, add
Code:
                <item id="17">
                    <label>Anime</label>
                    <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,"special://profile/playlists/video/Anime Series.xsp", return)</onclick>
                    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/settings.jpg</icon>
                </item>

The sub menus
Find
Code:
<include name="SubMenu">
        <control type="group" id="8000">

Before
Code:
<control type="fixedlist" id="8001">
                <visible>Skin.HasSetting(Menu_Videos_Sub) + Container(5040).HasFocus(1)</visible>

Add (Note the HasFocus(17) thingy. the 17 is the id of our main menu item.)
Code:
<control type="fixedlist" id="8001">
                <visible>Container(5040).HasFocus(17)</visible>
                <include condition="Skin.HasSetting(HorizontalHomeMenu)">HorizontalSubMenuLayout</include>
                <include condition="!Skin.HasSetting(HorizontalHomeMenu)">VerticalSubMenuLayout</include>
                <content>
                    <item id="8902">
                        <label>Anime Series</label>
                        <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,"special://profile/playlists/video/Anime Series.xsp", return)</onclick>
                    </item>
                    <item id="8903">
                        <label>Anime Movies</label>
                        <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,"special://profile/playlists/video/Anime Movies.xsp", return)</onclick>
                    </item>
                </content>
            </control>
barly Wrote:So Why does the movie "FILM" category show the fanart
while the cartoon "TECKNAT" and documentary "DOKUMENTÄR" dont show it, only shows popcorn... and I hate the smell of popcorn Sad

Thanks again Myth for all the time you put into it Smile

Have they been scraped and added to the library?
Hi Myth,
i make this with AEON MQ2 using smartplaylist menu but not work. when i open my playlist the result is empty library

<name>DVD</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://admin:#####@192.168.0.10/Dvd/</rule>
</smartplaylist>

i try all and one in <match> but nothing
can you help me please? thanks
panda78 Wrote:Hi Myth,
i make this with AEON MQ2 using smartplaylist menu but not work. when i open my playlist the result is empty library

<name>DVD</name>
<match>all</match>
</smartplaylist>

Have you modified the Aeon MQ2 skin files?
Simple Wrote:Have you modified the Aeon MQ2 skin files?

no , i only want to use playlist normaly but don't work
panda78 Wrote:Hi Myth,

<name>DVD</name>
<match>all</match>
</smartplaylist>

See if the following works: Try changing
Code:
To
Code:
<rule field="path" operator="contains">/Dvd/</rule>
Quote:<item id="4">
<label>Animes</label>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,///Animes,return)</onclick>
<icon>special:///Hellsing.jpg</icon>
<thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(Home_Custom_Back_Video_Folder)]</thumb>
<visible>!Skin.HasSetting(HomeMenuNoMovieButton)</visible>

</item>

Which one of these configs determine the image that appears when the movies that have no fanart, or when the FOLDER UP (..) is selected?

When a movie fan art is missing, I don't want that other movie's fan art appear. I prefer some neutral movies that are in my Movie folder.
Would it be possible to do something like this except I want the custom menu item to go to the file (NOT library) view of one particular video source. I'm using the latest Aeon MQ2 if that makes a difference.

I can't even find where the aeon files are, it's been installed from .zip on two different machines but even searching the HDD for the words MQ2 shows no results...
People, have you seen this? Is for Confluence.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76529&page=1

It's interesting! I though that the changes made configuring in the XBMC would appear in the Home.xml. But it doesn't! I liked that it created the possibility to select a folder to multi image for the New Menu you create in the background customizer.

But the new menu doesn't appear in the same place where we edit the Home.xml. How can we config the folder for multi image for our new menu by hand? Or we could find the new menu in this custom Home.xml.
Hi myth I've follies your tutorial and gave managed to add the custom menus and all are working but I'm having problems adding sub menus I can't seem to find
<include name="SubMenu">
<control type="group" id="8000">

Your help would be much appreciated. I love the skin neon and would like to keep using it cheers!
Something strange I noticed with my Transparency skin custom home menu:

One day I switched my XBMC box on - and there was just a blank screen! I eventually worked out that Transparency had updated itself and undone all of the changes I did to customise the menus.

Since I had nothing else selected in the menu options it just showed a black screen with no menu options.

I was easily able to put it back with my backup files, but be warned - if your skin gets updated it could undo the customisation you make.
awesome! how would you do this on a mac?

has anyone already gone to the trouble of making this for aeon or another skin and wouldn't mind uploading an addon/new skin? im on mac so i don't see these xml files i think (?).

ideally i'd just want anime/movies/music/tv shows... basically just +animes. if anyone can help.. please Smile.
i just want to add (bluray + Documentaries) with the current menu.
do i need to edit anime.xsp to (bluray.xsp + documentaries.xsp ) only?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO customize the home menu with custom categories5