• 7(current)
[HOW-TO] Make Colour Themes
Hitcher, you're obviously a busy man at the moment so feel free to ignore this, but I've got one wishlist item for color themes. It would be really cool to have a separate color for titles in all views. I notice in several views the genre and other information is colored the same as the title, and for a theme like quantic my hope was to have the title really pop out, and would love to color the genre, air date, etc. in a secondary color.

Various thumbnails I pinched from other posts to illustrate...

That's a hell of a lot of work and I think the colour tags are complicated enough as it is - some skins only have a few colours.
Ok. No worries. If it's a complicated change I'd rather you spent your time on bigger initiatives - can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Freddo Wrote:could someone re-make my favorite theme, stencil for revisited please?

old stencil

OMG... yes please.
Hitcher Wrote:I made a start with the textures but haven't got the time to go through all the colours so I've uploaded the textures below in the hope someone else will pick up the reins.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1763g1tf6t143h

Thanks.

Juanflaco Wrote:Hitcher - I would be happy to update Stencil. I'd really like to take a stab at improving my original icons so it will be a bit more involved...

Hopefully it will be released.
Hitcher Wrote:Hopefully it will be released.

I was working on updates to the icons but I think it would be better to just get it out using the Stencil v.1 icons. Then I can take my time and perhaps do a newer version down the road.

I'll get the colors remapped and hope to release in a day or so.
Juanflaco Wrote:I was working on updates to the icons but I think it would be better to just get it out using the Stencil v.1 icons. Then I can take my time and perhaps do a newer version down the road.

I'll get the colors remapped and hope to release in a day or so.

My Hero Big Grin
I've been using XBMC since it was only available on XBOX. This is by far the best skin I've ever used. It has all the bells and whistles of a modern skin, but still feels minimal and unobtrusive. I also liked that it wasn't dark. TOO many (almost all other) skins are black or real dark... why is that? It is depressing. Finally, I learned yesterday that changing the color scheme seems mildly easy.

This is great because I've always wanted to try creating a skin, but I'm not dedicated enough to build it from the ground up. Now I can put my design skills to the test.

I am a fairly technical person, but for some reason, I can't find the original folder that is being alluded to here:

Hitcher Wrote:1. Place any modified textures inside the media folder using the same folder layout as in the original

ie

media/background.png
media/list/listfocus.png

I found the media folder (under add-ons/skin.AlaskaRevisited.etc.etc.), but there was nothing in there. I then looked under the AlaskaRevisitedMod folder and that media folder had a bunch of folders and .pngs in it, but it seemed incomplete. Where should I be looking for the original media folder with all of the files in it?

Thanks for the great work!
Sorry, you need to check it out from the source code -

http://skin-alaska-revisited.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Hitcher, when you have a moment could you please re-upload the stencil textures? I lost the originals in a disk crash and your mediafire link isn't working at the moment.

Thanks!
For those of you interested in the Stencil theme, I have a new version ready for testing. I used some old icons when I could find them, and created some new textures as well. I think the background texture is much better in this version. It's not 100% complete but I'd really appreciate some help identifying any textures which need to be redone or colors that don't work well. My main XBMC setup is offline while I remodel and this laptop has a tendency to die every 20 minutes or so which complicates things somewhat Eek

Here is the color and texture file. Stencil_test.xbt goes in your Alaska media directory, and Stencil_test.xml goes in your Alaska colors directory.

Download stencil_test.zip

Any feedback with problems or things you'd like to see done differently would be appreciated!

edit: A few screenshots...

Wow that is cool Juanflaco !

I like how it breaks the ultra clean look and feel of Alaska Cool

I haven't played a lot with it but

1. Apple Movie trailers lite icon is missing (using horizontal menu).
2. I generally like dark themes better. Do you plan to go for one too. Or would you mind sharing the unpacked version of the theme so people can play around with it.

Really nice work
Cheers
Hey Razor, thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on doing too much more with this one, just cleaning up anything that doesn't look right. I'll go ahead and create an Apple Trailers icon and I think some of the colors could use adjustments here and there; I'm also thinking the frames on default home don't look right. I might try to come up with something completely different for those. edit: and of course I should probably come up with new default icons.

Anyway, if you want to modify the graphics to come up with a darker version, I'm all for it! Here's a link to the source icons and textures I used.
Will this stencil theme be added to Alaska, or do you have to add it yourself?
ClockWork Orange. A new theme for those who are interested.
I didn't create anything, just mixed together some themes already posted in the forum.Laugh

It is a mainly orange theme using the brushed steel icons from the Caelatum theme and a wavy background from Durham Dev that brings a little movement to the screens.
It will work better with horizontal menu which I am using. I did not look really at the result with other home menus.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All credits to
Hitcher of course!
Durham Dev
WheresWaldo for his lovely icons
Juanflaco for his work on colors

Download here
  • 7(current)