• 3(current)
Linux HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source
I know what you meant, obviously Im fetching obscure stuff, here have a read

http://sidveeblogs.wordpress.com/2011/02...ut-follow/

Its a bit offtopic but none the less relevant specially for some members of these forums (and no I don't mean you) who crawl out of the woodwork just to leech, provoke, tease and god knows what else, anything but contribute anything to the community. if you get a change read my comment too...

You strike me like a fellow that will eventually contribute something back, on the other hand some people never do, nothing not even a post that actually contains a link to some resource to help a user.

Despite this, even if offtopic, I believe both of us are able to maintain a healthy discussion and not get offended by anything and move on and learn something from each other, most users on these boards dont, its hilarious really, introduce a phone or internet in-between people and they change like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
is it an option tomake a script program? with choises for noobs like me ?
it already exists

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xci/

But since I'm retired form that development you need to change the distro options to make it work. amd bare in mind that only for minimal OS installs. Use any options at own risk even if you get it working with your distro

So n00b are covered sort of, if anyone wants to make it work with other Ubuntu distros or even xbmclive go ahead its opensource, Ive done more then enough, my part has been done. (no idiot is found under this skin anymore he died and resurrected a wiser man)
This process worked great for me - I took the block of statements and put them into a bash script and ran it as root. Only mod I made was I added a

stop xbmc-live

statement to the beginning.

Thanks!
boykster Wrote:This process worked great for me - I took the block of statements and put them into a bash script and ran it as root. Only mod I made was I added a

stop xbmc-live

statement to the beginning.

Thanks!

that's lovely maybe you you would like to share your work with the rest of the users?
X3lectric Wrote:that's lovely maybe you you would like to share your work with the rest of the users?

Happy to, but it's your work, I just implemented it. All credit goes to X3lectric Nod

Download this file:

http://boykster.homelinux.net/XBMC/update.zip

and unzip it to your ~/ directory (as root). chmod +x XBMC_build_git.sh to make it executable. Run it with a command line option - there are two:

upgrade - runs the full process listed in 1) - sets up the environment, installs necessary dependancies, does a git pull, builds and installs

refresh - this runs the process listed in 2) - does a fresh git pull, builds and installs the new version.

run it without an option to get script usage info, etc. Feel free to modify / improve this as necessary. I'm not a bash expert, but I hack scripts at work a lot.
thx but is only part of a bigger script.

credit goes to opensource spirit and cooperation.

I thought you added options to Upgrade and update... This means you need two scripts cause you shouldn't run this script twice or you'll break stuff.
Ah, haven't gotten that sophisticated - gives your request more context ;-)

Edit:

I updated the script and added 2 command line switches to do a full upgrade or refresh (new git pull and rebuild)
adding to main post, well done and thx

Im sure your work and my clumsiness will help a few lost souls.
Hi, boykster, X3lectric,

truly amazed... stumbled upon your posts here, and tried the update.zip just for the heck of it on my Revo. After 45 mins. i was greeted by the latest and greatest version of XBMC!

nice side effects like navigation sounds and music fade out/in working again..

You guys are my heroes of the week, i salute you!
Awesome - glad it worked for you. I do want to add a disclaimer that I tested my script on a Dharma LIVE installation, and no other distros of linux or builds of XBMC.
Thanks for the guide, used the step by step from post 1 and it worked flawlessly.
ynwa
also added ppa now quite experimental but it seems to work fine so far on either, ppa will be updated as any Linux changes/improvements are introduced.

https://launchpad.net/~x3lectric/+archive/xbmc-git-head

Team XBMC is not going to offer > karmic builds going forward Eden will because of dependencies (though I dont understand why nor do i care to make sense of it) so I will offer ppa builds as long as it is possible for karmic at least.

Anything above lucid is up to team xbmc...

feedback welcome from appreciative users only.
X3lectric Wrote:Team XBMC is not going to offer > karmic builds going forward Eden will because of dependencies (though I dont understand why nor do i care to make sense of it) so I will offer ppa builds as long as it is possible for karmic at least.

Yeah great, I am a Karmic user. I have tons of custom settings, i hate to reinstall my system and lose all of that. Rolleyes
wow! now running XBMC 11!!!
Thanks!

I did not manage to upgrade with the instructions of post 1 but the script from boykster in his post did the job!!
Wink
rebuilding ....
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source12