• 5(current)
Linux HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source
there's a ton other changes to the compile instructions and steps that "your" script doesn't have and probably should... the pmoun libtool has been fixed in script available on this topic ages ago, not that script you are using, but the one for git Compile posted on main post all you need is to download it.

but thx for your heads up...

as for libyajl-dev its available on Lucid and upwards and I backported it to karmic on my ppa so you must be on karmic.

thx anyways.
X3lectric Wrote:as for libyajl-dev its available on Lucid and upwards and I backported it to karmic on my ppa so you must be on karmic.

thx anyways.

Maybe a realy noob question here, but what is Lucid and what is Karmic? I have just installed the live version of 9.0 and done compiles from then one because I didn't wanted the hustle on reconfiguring my ubuntu box, over and over again.

-Edit

Just googled and read that they are ubuntu versions Big Grin. Is there any easy way into upgrading my box to Lucid, without having to do a complete reinstall of my box?
X3lectric Wrote:there's a ton other changes to the compile instructions and steps that "your" script doesn't have and probably should... the pmoun libtool has been fixed in script available on this topic ages ago, not that script you are using, but the one for git Compile posted on main post all you need is to download it.

Ah now I understand you are talking about the script on http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/XCI/XBMC_build_git.sh

Maybe you should update that in your post on page one, adding a note that the script you've put between code-tags is outdated and that the one from update 4, should be used Smile.
nims Wrote:Is there any easy way into upgrading my box to Lucid, without having to do a complete reinstall of my box?

Anyone knows if this:

sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
sudo do-release-upgrade

will do the trick without any problems?

Source in Dutch:
http://forum.xbmcfreak.nl/topic/update-l...o-maverick
nims Wrote:Ah now I understand you are talking about the script on http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/XCI/XBMC_build_git.sh

Maybe you should update that in your post on page one, adding a note that the script you've put between code-tags is outdated and that the one from update 4, should be used Smile.

What are you talking about? there is no script in [code] tags that's manual compile instructions... and they ARE up to DATE... I dont think you understood what the main post explains...

me on first post Wrote:
Find in This How-to
:

1. Manual Compile step by step instructions.
  2. Script Version ( see ***Update 4 )
  3. Update Sections (these contain further extension/improvements and important information

I think you missed that no?

nims Wrote:Anyone knows if this:

sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
sudo do-release-upgrade

will do the trick without any problems?

Source in Dutch:
http://forum.xbmcfreak.nl/topic/update-l...o-maverick

I don't recommend distro upgrades at all, simply because mostly it will bugger up one or more crucial things in linux and xbmc...

whatever you decide to do, make sure you image your system before with something like acronis true image or clonezilla...
X3lectric Wrote:What are you talking about? there is no script in [code] tags that's manual compile instructions... and they ARE up to DATE... I dont think you understood what the main post explains...

I think you missed that no?
Well actually I did not missed it, but somehow in step one, my own copy was not complete. I think it is some sort of copy and paste error. Thanks for pointing it out that is up to date!

X3lectric Wrote:I don't recommend distro upgrades at all, simply because mostly it will bugger up one or more crucial things in linux and xbmc...

whatever you decide to do, make sure you image your system before with something like acronis true image or clonezilla...

Thank you for mentioning this. I am also not so fond of updating a distro when it works correctly. I am just wondering if it is safe to keep on ubuntu 9.x whilst xbmc is compiled against 10.10. I just want to avoid I run into the above errors, e.g. modules and libs missing, that are in 10.10, which I don't have.
Cool topic! Once I got my linux install running, I will try this also. I am busy switching from openelec to ubuntu mini, and this topic should get me started. Is there an easy way to trigger the update script from within xbmc (like in openelec) ?
i dont know, never really looked at how openelec and how it calls the update, though I know someone who may do an addon for this... just dont know when or even if hes gonna do it.
Robotica Wrote:Cool topic! Once I got my linux install running, I will try this also. I am busy switching from openelec to ubuntu mini, and this topic should get me started. Is there an easy way to trigger the update script from within xbmc (like in openelec) ?

There is an easy way actually what I use on my own installation. I have installed the "advanced launcher"-add on. This add-on is able to run applications, but also scripts. So just create a new launcher record, point to the update script and your golden. If you want to run it in the background, just add the '&' character as an argument (which is run in the background).

For easy access, you can add the line as a favourite, and in some skins you can even point a menu-button to a favourite.

Hope this gives you what you need Smile.

For me this saves the hassle by going into a console and run the script. I run it from my xbmc, which just does it in the background. Don't forget to sudo the commands in the scripts Smile.
The script in Update 4 has a typo.

Code:
git rest --hard

should be

Code:
git reset --hard

The manual commands are correct.
Lightbulb 
IAmNotAUser Wrote:The script in Update 4 has a typo.

Code:
git rest --hard
should be

Code:
git reset --hard
The manual commands are correct.

Thank you for that, it has now been corrected.

While Im here

Nvidia 275.09.06 stable drivers will be available for lucid & karmic as soon as they finish building on the staging ppa and will be available here

I hope users appreciate the nvidia driver as it took a very long time and 10 tries per distro to get it to compile.

Continuing the spirit of being ahead of other ppas, I have also compiled the latest stable sabnzbd+ 0.6.5 for lucid and karmic and it is available here

thanks and if you find any of my work useful and has helped you please consider providing positive feedback via the reputation button.
Nvidia 275.09.06 stable drivers built ok for 32 bit but still being a pain in the backside to build for 64 bit, it seems my wowes building the drivers are not over.

also new dependency added to xbmc libboost-thread-dev https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/384d...fb3d6a2144

this has been corrected on script and manual how-to

if you get errors compiling as a current script user use the script updated on post 1 under **UPDATE 4 or you must manually install it

Regards.
If anyone has any clew and can help me with the ppa packaging for the nw nvidia drivers please help, Im desperate and frankly completely out of my depth...
There is a typo in your script:

libmodplug-devlibboost-thread-dev

Is not something I can install.

libmodplug-dev and libboost-thread-dev, though can be installed.
X3lectric Wrote:Nvidia 275.09.06 stable drivers built ok for 32 bit but still being a pain in the backside to build for 64 bit, it seems my wowes building the drivers are not over.

also new dependency added to xbmc libboost-thread-dev https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/384d...fb3d6a2144

this has been corrected on script and manual how-to

if you get errors compiling as a current script user use the script updated on post 1 under **UPDATE 4 or you must manually install it

Regards.

I've installed libboost-thread-dev, but somehow I cannot compile:

checking for main in -lboost_thread... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.

I have no clue why it cannot build. Any clues here?

p.s. I've copied a paste-bin with my build progress here:

http://pastebin.com/cnkaKjwG
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source12