1080i success!
Thumbs Up 
After years of having every media player in existence commit digital suicide at the mere mention of 1080i files I assumed my crappy graphics card (erm, on board :eek2Smile was the culprit and had rather given up and settled for 720p. However, since discovering XBMC and observing how it manages to pull off the wow factor with almost unbelievable ease and agility I thought I'd give 1080i another try. Wouldn't you know it, perfect playback. Big Grin

Thank you.
What's wrong with "settling" for 720p? Just because it has more numbers, doesn't make it better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p#Comparison_with_1080i
EGOvoruhk Wrote:Just because it has more numbers, doesn't make it better
What is this I don't even
TheStretchedElf Wrote:What is this I don't even

Translation: 1080p > 720p > 1080i

Unless you're in the broadcasting field, 1080i is pretty much worthless
Hmmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-JXfyvlPh0

your better off at 720p
Yes, but the file is bigger, so the quality is better, right? Ok, I'm not being entirely serious. I know very little about the 720 v 1080 arguments besides the fact that my system refused to play anything higher than 720p. I presumed 1080i—I was under the impression that there was no such thing as 1080p—was closer to the original HD, but there you go, you bastards had to detract from my warm glowy glwingness with your cold hard truths, didn't you. Confused
If the 1080i files you're using are direct broadcast rips, which I assume they are, you can grab your favorite encoder, deinterlace that bad boy, and shrink it down to 720p. You'll save some HDD space
At first I only downloaded one episode of doctor who just to test how xbmc handled it. That was 1080i, and in my ignorance I didn't realise there was much difference between i and p (and if anything I thought files labelled with p might have been incorrectly named—oh what little faith I seem to have in the scene). Anyway, I've just double checked the other files I downloaded (Toy Story 3 and Inception) which I'd grabbed to test how xbmc/my system took to playing full movies and I've just noticed they are 1080p. So I suppose that's good then.
XBMC doesn't play 1080i VC-1. There's a ticket on it.
TugboatBill Wrote:XBMC doesn't play 1080i VC-1. There's a ticket on it.
What's VC-1? The DW episode I downloaded appeared to play without issue. Huh
It's a video codec. Yours was recorded using a different codec. Both can be 1080i.
Ah, I see.
TugboatBill Wrote:It's a video codec. Yours was recorded using a different codec. Both can be 1080i.
MPEG-2 can be interlaced (1080i), as VC-1 can. H264 can't if I'm not mistaken.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080i success!0