Linux, AppleTV, ChrystalHD, USB Hub, USB Wi-Fi???
Hi!

I'd like to use Apple TV with booting over USB pen drive, with chrystalHD card, small usb hub where on one port it will be USB bootable pen drive and on other Wi-fi N usb dongle.
I'd like to use both network cards on the same time (Ethernet and wi-fi).

So now is this possible to make in linux? I it possible to use on sams linux image USB hub and Wi-Fi adapter?

Which small usb hub will you recommend me?
Which small Wi-Fi N usb card will you recommend me (it has to work in linux image on ATV)?

Will this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/150M-WIFI-USB-Wirele...2eb05ee371
http://cgi.ebay.com/EDUP-Mini-Wireless-N...2a0d330005
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Wireless-N-G-80...43a2880775

And this hub:
http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Mini-USB2-0-Hi...1c17fffb72

TNX
Hope your not giving up on BB entirely, but its cool to see you in both forums.

This is the latest posting about using a USB WiFi card in the ATV.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=wifi

I would work from there. Also unless you Router is close to your ATV, Im not sure I would go with the "mini"adapters.

I know many people will tell you not to use Powerline Ethernet adapters, but I have had good luck with mine so far on one of my boxes. I scored a pair of 200mbps ones on Newegg.com for $35 each. I can stream 720p and 1080p BRrips without them getting in the way bandwidth wise.
I'm going to use both networks adapters at the same time like i do on BB Smile
Wired will be for multicast tv provider and wi-fi for internal network.
At the moment i have some troubles with trunk on dd-wrt but i hope i will solve them.

cheers.
The ATV does not boot from a USB stick when you use an HUB as before detecting the key start OSX
I had the same problem so you can't use a HUB booting from a stick but only the internal drive
You will need an ethernet connection and still you won't be able to access external drives
Mine does boot from HUB and boots direct to Linux and XBMC.
ritalin Wrote:I know many people will tell you not to use Powerline Ethernet adapters, but I have had good luck with mine so far on one of my boxes. I scored a pair of 200mbps ones on Newegg.com for $35 each. I can stream 720p and 1080p BRrips without them getting in the way bandwidth wise.

Do you get similar networking to the built in wired ethernet of the ATV? I have heard quite a few good, and some negative, experiences with the powerline products but the wiring of the house seemed to matter a lot. It's an appealing technology.

Any thoughts on powered vs plain usb hubs? I haven't hooked one up to my ATV yet but I did try a WD Elements notebook drive ( just 120gigs) which is powered by the usb port of the ATV. The drive worked fine but it made the ATV sluggish, which didn't happen when I hooked up a powered external drive. I was wondering if these notebook drives could get their power from a powered hub as opposed to the ATV.

philip
pmcd Wrote:Do you get similar networking to the built in wired ethernet of the ATV? I have heard quite a few good, and some negative, experiences with the powerline products but the wiring of the house seemed to matter a lot. It's an appealing technology.
Im sure the overall through-put is smaller with the Powerline adapter. I am not trying to stream full bitrate blu rays over it though, so it doesnt matter to me. It handles high bitrate 720p and 1080p mkv files with no issue at all in my home and my fathers home. Both of our homes were built in the mid 70s so internal wiring is pretty decent. I did use it in another home that was build in the 30s and experienced a few problems, but if you have not replaced the wiring in a home that old, I would do so or move like I did. The wiring in my old house was rapped in fabric and some type of paper. Eek

pmcd Wrote:Any thoughts on powered vs plain usb hubs? I haven't hooked one up to my ATV yet but I did try a WD Elements notebook drive ( just 120gigs) which is powered by the usb port of the ATV. The drive worked fine but it made the ATV sluggish, which didn't happen when I hooked up a powered external drive. I was wondering if these notebook drives could get their power from a powered hub as opposed to the ATV.

I can use a standard USB powered hub, but Im not sure I would do it if I was powering a USB HDD on it. I would go with an external powered hub if thats what you want hooked up.
illiac4 Wrote:Mine does boot from HUB and boots direct to Linux and XBMC.

Have you got a powered USB Hub? Once I have connected a USB drive despite the drive being powered the ATV does not boot anymore from the stick
No just USB tumb and wifi usb card. I'm not using drive, because i have nas.
So it may be that it does not understand which drive to boot from. Does it make a difference to which port you connect the thumb?
I tested with D-link 8 port powered USB hub and it booted up .
Also tested with LOGITECH wireless desktop keyboard and mouse+ NTFS ext hdd + Nazarko's USB image attached and it booted up and mounted the NTFS in the file browser and keyboard and mouse are working too.
Maybe it is because I have pin87a image? That should not make a difference though
I tried powering the USB hub as well and still I see the apple coming up
Maybe my hub is crap
One thing I wanted to share with you guys though
Streaming 1080p over Wireless N is not a good idea as 4.1HP has max of 60 Mbps and devices on the market at best do 40 Mbps average

So if you want to play 1080p and do not have an Ethernet connection get into the idea of connecting a USB 2.0 drive to your ATV or use the internal drive

USB 2.0 offers 320 Mbps max and usually at least 240 Mbps on an average commercial drive

Thas is why in fact am trying to connect my external drive to ATV with Ubuntu on thumb drive

For the records 720p play fine on ATV as long as they are in spec if you experience lags over wireless N and dropped flames are most likely due to the network if the bitrate of your file jumps for a second over 8 MBps

So doing all this mess to play 720p is a waste of energy in my opinion except the fact you can play real 24fps without telecine issues

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux, AppleTV, ChrystalHD, USB Hub, USB Wi-Fi???0