filesystem to use for SSD
Hello folks,
I just received my OCZ Vertex 2 40GB SSD to be used in my ION based htpc.
Since i have to recreate partitions anyway and copy the contents rather than image the whole thing i was thinking about the best filesystem choice.
I am running Arch Linux x86_64
I will be going to use GPT partition tables.

Currently i am using ext4 which seems to be an ok choice when using the notail and cleanup flag. I will not store any media itself on the box, all the media files are attached via nfs.

But instead of going for the should-be-ok choice i was wondering wether someone could give me some realworld advice.

I was having a look at
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...lfs2&num=2

which revealed ext4 as being slow when doing sqlite inserts, but then again, the way i see it select performance would be much more interesting since i am rarely doing massive inserts due to the scanning process being slowed down by downloading media info anyway. xfs was even worse when doing inserts.

unfortunately xfs was faster when it came to random reading of data which is crucial as well when loading all those nifty covers and fanart Smile

Another question with these benchmarks, how can they be adapted to a rather slow cpu like the atom?

When reading through these forums it seems a few people went for the dead-prison-horse reiserfs.

But back to my initial question:

ext4 or xfs? btrfs seems to be a no-go and reiser... i don't think so....
Anyone have some real world impressions which could ease my decision?

On a somewhat related note: any hints on the best suited scheduler and swapiness levels when running on ssd?
For your application you're putting way too much thought into this.
The ext4 filesystem is a fine choice.
ext4 and be done with it.
For htpc usage that you are talking about, you will see no difference between file systems. Pick any you like.
ext4 it is now; bootime went down from 63 seconds to 31 from grub loading to xbmc fully loaded with aeon mq.

Good start so far; will try to squeeze some more out of it Smile

Thx for all your input
I don't think you can ask for much better then that.
if you have enogh RAM, 4GB for example, you can consider to move your /tmp and /var/log to a tmpfs to decrease the SSD I/O.
Quote:if you have enogh RAM, 4GB
and skip the swap partition. I run without swap with 2Gb with no issues.

I have also read that it is a good idea to run with noatime and without journals. However, the SSDs are probably better nowerdays and will probaly work fine by default.

You could also check the bios if the disks are set to AHCI or something else better than IDE/SATA. (This may require re-install)
My laptop is running on IRR and from what I can gather it should also be fine, eitherway i cant change it without re-install.
@vikjon0, you are right, I forgot to say that I've noatime set, but journaling enabled (you never know... journal is a good thing Smile ).
Thanks for the hints about bios setting, now I've IDE/SATA instead of AHCI... I will tries this setting (reinstall everything takes about 10 minutes Wink). Actually my xbmc live (over ubuntu 10.10 server), after BIOS post, is up & running in 8 seconds (kingston ssdnow v+ 64gb) Cool and
# hdparm -t /dev/sda3
returns about 200MB/sec of disk read time. Let's see with AHCI what we can achieve...
joethefox Wrote:@vikjon0, you are right, I forgot to say that I've noatime set, but journaling enabled (you never know... journal is a good thing Smile ).
Thanks for the hints about bios setting, now I've IDE/SATA instead of AHCI... I will tries this setting (reinstall everything takes about 10 minutes Wink). Actually my xbmc live (over ubuntu 10.10 server), after BIOS post, is up & running in 8 seconds (kingston ssdnow v+ 64gb) Cool and
# hdparm -t /dev/sda3
returns about 200MB/sec of disk read time. Let's see with AHCI what we can achieve...
Hi,

AHCI will not change speed. It will add some features, like hot plug and NCQ. But none of this will afect the speed to a SSD.

Cheers.
an interesting article SSD Benchmark Tests: SATA IDE vs AHCI Mode.
@FireMan, my geek soul can't resist without making an AHCI test Nerd... even without boosting in term of reading speed like you correctly say Smile
DOH! changing BIOS SATA setting from IDE/SATA to AHCI without reinstall nothing, now I've gained 20 MB/s of speed:
# hdparm -t /dev/sda3
returns always about 220MB/sec of disk read time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
filesystem to use for SSD0