XBMC Dharma client hammering Repository addons.xml
Hi there,

I have my own XBMC Repository for XOT-Uzg.v3.

Today I noticed that 90% of the requests to the Repo addons.xml (http://www.rieter.net/net.rieter.xot.www/addons.xml) file, is generated by only 25 IP-addresses! We are talking about more than 600.000 requests in the past 7 months. That is an average of (600.000/25/7/30=) 114 requests per day per IP address. In January there are already 4 IP's with more than 4000 requests and it's just the 11th of January.

So my question is if there could be some kind of bug in XBMC regarding the requests towards the repo's?
It's probably checking for updates once every 10-15 minutes. If you have 25 installed users and they ping the file every 15 minutes you're talking 25 (users) * 4 (times per hour) * 24 (hours) * 365 (days a year) = 876 000 requests a year.

I'm not seeing how that's a problem though? It's just a small text file anyway. The bandwidth and load on the server should be quite small, if even noticeable.
dan1son Wrote:It's probably checking for updates once every 10-15 minutes. If you have 25 installed users and they ping the file every 15 minutes you're talking 25 (users) * 4 (times per hour) * 24 (hours) * 365 (days a year) = 876 000 requests a year.

I'm not seeing how that's a problem though? It's just a small text file anyway. The bandwidth and load on the server should be quite small, if even noticeable.

well, some ping every 2 seconds!
Those IPs may be NAT'd. XBMC checks once every 6 hours, and that is not alterable to my knowledge.

If for some reason their addons database got corrupt, there might be more hits than that - not 100% sure. You could try by intentionally corrupting your addons db and then monitoring network traffic. If there's a bug there we'd definitely be wanting it fixed.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

you have to provide a md5 of the xml. if that isn't provided, we fetch the xml every single time (i.e. every 6th hour on each client - no other way to tell if there are updates...)

and yes, with corrupt db's we will likely try to fetch all the time, on a 10min interval (iirc).
spiff Wrote:you have to provide a md5 of the xml. if that isn't provided, we fetch the xml every single time (i.e. every 6th hour on each client - no other way to tell if there are updates...)

and yes, with corrupt db's we will likely try to fetch all the time, on a 10min interval (iirc).

Well, I provide an MD5 (http://www.rieter.net/net.rieter.xot.rep...ns.xml.md5, which does a 302 redirect by the way), but it passed on an text/xml mime-type. That could give problems. Fixed it in Apache. Will see what happens.
Please test out a corrupt addons.db file when you have a chance.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Please test out a corrupt addons.db file when you have a chance.

How do I corrupt my addons.db?
Just copy some other file in it's place will probably do the trick.

You could use coralcache as a CDN.

Just change your host names to .nyud.net. It won't fix the problem, but should reduce your load.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
jmarshall Wrote:Just copy some other file in it's place will probably do the trick.

I copied an JPG into addons.db, but then XBMC crashes on load!

Anyways, I did find an error in my repository file: de MD5 was not there, it only had the addons.xml file twice! So Stupid.

So I
* updated the XOT Repository addon.xml to have the MD5
* update the version number to 1.0.1.
* added the new repository to the addons.xml on my server so everybody will automatically download the 1.0.1 repo and get the fix.

Hopefull it will now be better. I will let you all know.
I did notice something strange: XBMC does 2 requests: first a HEAD and then a GET.

My addons.xml requests returns a status 302. I would then expect XBMC to do another HEAD request to the new URL, but instead it does a GET. Could that be fixed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Dharma client hammering Repository addons.xml0