Complete system freeze with XBMC on eeeBox
Hello all,

I am running Ubuntu on an Asus eeeBox (details below). As of recently, a problem that I had earlier has reappeared.

A few days ago I did "apt-get dist-upgrade" and subsequently manually recompiled/reinstalled the ALSA driver. Now, it happens often that a few ten seconds after I start watching a movie in XBMC, the system completely freezes: the picture freezes, the audio in the buffer keeps repeating, and only pressing the power button for > 3 seconds turns the PC off.

I have mostly experienced this problem with HD movies (x264, MKV), with both DTS and Dolby Digital (AC3 5.1) sound, but can't say for sure that it has never happened with non-HD movies.

The problem seems to appear in "spells". Everything can be ok for one or two days, I can watch 3 hour movies without a problem. Once the problem happens again, it keeps happening even after completely turning off (and unplugging) the PC and restarting it.

I have attached all logs I deemed relevant, but a quick glance tells me that at the moment of the crash (Jan 11, about 21:10) nothing of significance could be logged before the machine hung itself up.

I would be glad to know if anyone else has the same problem and if someone knows a solution for this.

Thanks!

My setup:
Linux 2.6.32-27-generic-pae #49-Ubuntu 10.04
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 260.19.29 Wed Dec 8 12:09:09 PST 2010
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
XBMC Version: XBMC 10.0 r35648
alsa-driver-1.0.23
PC: Asus Eee Box EB1501P-B002E
TV: Samsung UE46C8700
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR608 (eeeBox with HDMI through receiver)

System installed through RPM more or less as explained here; got newest updates from ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates.

My logs:
Codec details of one video file for which it happens:
D(Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 384 kb/s)
D(Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720) dc:ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau
Make sure that the amount of gpu ram is set to 512 mb in the bios.
Thanks for the really quick reply. I haven't found such an option in the BIOS (American Megatrends). Is there a way to enable advanced configuration options?
If the bios doesn't support such an option, then I don't know.

You could try disabling adjust refreshrate to match video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Complete system freeze with XBMC on eeeBox0