Can't see my NAS (Synology DS210j) in XBMC (Zotac Zbox w/Ubuntu 10.04)
Question 
Here is a quick breakdown of what I have:

Zotac Zbox hd-id40 w/4gb RAM and 40GB SSD
Synology DS210j NAS

What i did:
1) Installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the Zbox
2) Ran some updates and installed sickbeard and SABnzbd
3) Installed the nvidian ION2 driver
4) Installed XBMC
5) Installed the nvidia hard acceleration packages

Now from what i can tell, everything installed well. In Ubuntu i can even see my NAS under the nextwork tab and can browse the main directories.

Here is the part i cant figure out:
  • Once i drill down into my NAS from Ubuntu (Zbox) to say: "/video/movies/iron man" it says i dont have permission to view this folder
  • BUT, if i go into my photos folder, i can see the photos just fine, no permission errors.
  • If i run XBMC and try to add a new video library, the NAS is nowhere to be seen

I got a feeling that i have two problems here:
1) I have some permissions set wrong on the NAS with my Windows File Service not configured properly.
2) Something is wrong on the Zbox side.

Please help me out here folks, i got this far but cant import my media libraries into XBMC properly!

I should also mention that my xbox and desktop pc's can see the NAS just fine and play all the videos. (but this is through DLNA/UPnP server and i understand that for xbmc it needs to work through the Windows File Service to get thumbnails, etc....)

Or am i barking up the wrong tree here? Should i be looking at configuring NFS for this access? My Synology NAS supports Samba so do i need to go that route?

....very confused right now heheh
Having setup my DS411j...

Have you set the set the 'public' access to the shared folder on the synology?

Also, I setup NFS on mine which was quite a bit quicker - but thats dependent on lots of factors...
I enabled guest account read/write access to the synology box if thats what you mean.

I think when i first connected to the NAS via file browser in Ubuntu, i might have entered the admin user/pass for the NAS. How would i go about dropping that and just entering "guest" user credentials?

i will try to enable NFS on the Synology just for kicks.

Do i need to mess with fstab file for NFS/SMB?
Ruski Wrote:I think when i first connected to the NAS via file browser in Ubuntu, i might have entered the admin user/pass for the NAS. How would i go about dropping that and just entering "guest" user credentials?

i will try to enable NFS on the Synology just for kicks.

Do i need to mess with fstab file for NFS/SMB?

NFS is quite simple, activate it on the DS - make a note of the \volume1\path - make sure the NFS security is set (with XBMCs IP)

then follow this helpful post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=597...stcount=15

Smile
Zakkieboy Wrote:NFS is quite simple, activate it on the DS - make a note of the \volume1\path - make sure the NFS security is set (with XBMCs IP)

then follow this helpful post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=597...stcount=15

Smile

Where do i specify the path on the synology ? I can enable nfs and it only needs a "name", not a path. What am I missing here ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
I was able to sort everything out.

First of all...I noticed that on my Synology, all the movie folders permissions were messed up! To check this do the following:

1) Login into your Synology box using the web.
2) Launch File Browser
3) Right-Click on any folder and go to Properties
4) Under privileges you will see three categories: owner, user group, others.

For whatever reason, my main folders: "music", "video", etc. gave read/write permission to all 3 categories, but once i drilled down into the video folder, all subfolders, files were only giving permissions to user group.

Easiest way to fix it was:
1) Go to properties of the top-level folder ("video" in my case)
2) Uncheck ALL privileges, select "Apply to this folder, subfolders and files" and press ok.
3) Go back to properties of "video" and now give whatever permissions you desire (i checked all), select to apply this to all subfolders, files again and click ok.

Now all the folders and files will have the same permissions.

As soon as i got my permissions right, i was able to browse my network in Ubuntu and play movies in the native movie player.

Then i started XBMC, went to videos and added a new source. Right away SMB Share for my Synology came up and everything worked.

Now i just gotta figure out how to reorganize my movies better (including the actual folders/files on my Synology). XBMC took some of my foreigh movies and assigned then to random hollywood films (in error lol).

Also need to finalize configuration of SABnzb+ and SickBeard to work with XBMC.
Glad to hear this boiled down to a file permissions issue. Sounds like you basically changed permissions to '777' which is r/w/e for all users. You may want to think about '664' -- which is r/w for owner and group... and read-only for other users.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Glad to hear this boiled down to a file permissions issue. Sounds like you basically changed permissions to '777' which is r/w/e for all users. You may want to think about '664' -- which is r/w for owner and group... and read-only for other users.

True, i will think about but since the NAS doesnt face onto the internet i dont worry about it too much right now.

As for problems, i still have plenty. For example the damn nvidia audio driver for sound over HDMI is still a problem with the Zotac hd-id40, as it was in the hd-id11. From what i know its only a linux issue and not a problem in windows but in my case its a pain in my ass.

I used of the guides to upgrade the Alsa drivers and that got me sound over HDMI in XBMC but now i have no sound in Ubuntu and cant even open the Sound Preferences, as it just sits on the msg "starting sound services". I also get a msg on my tv screen from time to time saying: "an incompatible sound was received..." or something like that hehe.
piotr Wrote:Where do i specify the path on the synology ? I can enable nfs and it only needs a "name", not a path. What am I missing here ?

you dont, when you activate NFS it displays the path at the bottom Wink
Ruski Wrote:For whatever reason, my main folders: "music", "video", etc. gave read/write permission to all 3 categories, but once i drilled down into the video folder, all subfolders, files were only giving permissions to user group.

I had a simular problem, but I assumed it was because I had restructured my DS using SSH (if you have to move large amounts of data, SSH is a must, 1 second vs hours over the web interface)

chmod -r would also fix your problem if it was the same as the one I had...
Zakkieboy Wrote:I had a simular problem, but I assumed it was because I had restructured my DS using SSH (if you have to move large amounts of data, SSH is a must, 1 second vs hours over the web interface)

chmod -r would also fix your problem if it was the same as the one I had...

Zakkie:

I forgot to mention it in my post but thats exactly what happened with me. I SSHed a big portion of my 1.5TB collection. Must have been the exact same issue. Funny enough i didnt notice or suspect it from the beginning because none of the other media sharing through uPnP and DLNA were affected.
Doh! oh well, sorted now!

Just need to sort my performance issues now, NFS has speeded up access to the DS, just still not as quick as I would like - which I could get on uPNP... but the uPNP seems a bit ropey on the DS...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't see my NAS (Synology DS210j) in XBMC (Zotac Zbox w/Ubuntu 10.04)0