Portrait vs. Landscape video rotation?
My son-in-law often emails videos of out grandson from his iPhone, which arrive in gmail as .MOV files (Quicktime, Ithink). When I play these, in XBMC and other players they play in "landscape" ie. on its side.

Can anyone advise how I can modify this to play the right way up - a bit like the way in Shotwell, for example, there is a button to turn an image by 90 degrees?

Thanks
Jack
jacquesb Wrote:My son-in-law often emails videos of out grandson from his iPhone, which arrive in gmail as .MOV files (Quicktime, Ithink). When I play these, in XBMC and other players they play in "landscape" ie. on its side.

Can anyone advise how I can modify this to play the right way up - a bit like the way in Shotwell, for example, there is a button to turn an image by 90 degrees?

Thanks
Jack

No way to currently do it simply, a Skinner should be able to hack it in but might be worth doing a feature request for it on trac so we can add a proper rotate command for it in core.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I'm no authority on this one, but I think the iPhone uses a non-standard flag in their MOV headers that tells Quicktime to rotate the video. I haven't found any other software that supports auto-rotating iPhone videos. I'm sure XBMC could implement a "fix" for this eventually, but just realize that it's not a situation of "everyone but XBMC" - instead it's "no one but Quicktime".
Having a rotate button still makes sense, especially if its picture and video view which we kindof have already
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Interesting. I'm having the same issue and stumbled upon this thread. Since I didn't see the OP reply to your TRAC suggestion, I thought I'd check to see if this had been entered yet. All I found was this: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9673
Which looks like a slightly different issue -- they're asking for the option to rotate the MENU, rather than the actual video, correct? Or am I reading that wrong?
Isnt there a number of places this may have to function? the media, skin, and xwindows (if linux etc)?
Would love this feature. Some of my iphone video plays upside down in everything but a mac. Reencoding is a pain.
ASROCK VisionX, Kodi Isengard 15.1, Aeon MQ5, Dreambox 8000HD, Panasonic TX-55CXW754
Yep, count me in....would love to see a rotate video option on the XBMC control panel Wink
+1! Bloody apple.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Theres already a trac ticket for it. Will take care off it after eden release:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12231
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yes, that's a very important function, especcially if you have a TabletPC.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119929
was this ever fixed/added in XBMC?
(2013-09-11, 17:36)nekrosoft13 Wrote: was this ever fixed/added in XBMC?

Yeah, but I think on Windows when using hardware decoding, the rotation doesn't work for videos from iPhones. Software decoding, or hardware/software decoding on other OSes, should all rotate it correctly.
Hello there, please help me on this.

I am running XBMC on an Atom D525 with nvidia ION. I just switched from MediaPortal and I am so very happy with the performance. All the videos that MediaPortal can't handle are played smoothly by XBMC!
But I am in the habit of holding my iPhone "upside down" when I take a video clip, so all my MOVs are upside down on the TV (but they play smoothly!).

I use the Frodo release, and I tested deactivating hardware rendering, but then the blissfulness is over, so I need it. (And the videos where not rotated correctly, either.)

Now, the video player in Windows 8 can read the flag and play the video smoothly, rotated according to the flag.
Can I expect XBMC to find a "follow up", or should I find a way to reencode my videos?

Thanks for your advice,
Anaximandus
Known issue with Windows and hardware video decoding. No solution at the moment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Portrait vs. Landscape video rotation?1