Ubuntu remote control help
Hi!

I have a simple set up with XBMC running on an acer revo with ubuntu 10.10. I also have a logitech harmony and I would like to know the best way to get these to work.

I have got a MCE remote, however, it is designed for windows and it's functionality in Ubuntu is limited.

I have spent the last 11 hours trying to configure lirc with no success so I was wondering if anyone here has any good ideas.

Is there another IR remote that works well with Ubuntu and XBMC? That way I could teach the commands to my harmony.

Many thanks.
wrooty.
Hi,

Your case consists, IMHO, of two parts:
- Make the remote work at all;
- Configure it to work as you like it

I did both on a home-brew DIY serial receiver using the remote from my satellite STB (as I already had 3 remotes, incl. the TV and the amp, so I definitely didn't want a forth one to hang around). So, it is doable and is not hard.

The first task is to make the remote work at all, which means to actually make the receiver "work" - so, step one, figure out what the receiver is like. It is either connected to a serial port (a rarity these days, probably only good for DIY or old external ones), or connected to USB. If it is a USB-based one, run "lsusb" when the receiver is connected - you should see it in the list. If the receiver is detachable, you can also run "tail -f /varlog/messages" (needs root, do a "sudo bash" beforehand) and then connect the receiver - you'll see if udev is able to configure it. Post here any questions with log entries you get.

The second task is to configure it as per your taste.

1. Use "irrecord" from LIRC tools to record the codes that the remote generates for each button; start it, then press the keys one by one remembering the order; you'll end up with the codes that correspond to each key.

2. Create a lircd.conf for lircd with the key codes you got. It is a map file which "translates" the codes from the remote into some mnemonic names. These names will be "exported" by lircd to third-party applications like XBMC.

3. Edit your Lircmap.xml file; it resides in /usr/share/xbmc/system. It is also a map file - it translates the codes from lircd.conf into internal XBCM events. Take a look at existing configurations in this file then copy/paste some which has enough features, rename it and start changing the lirc codes for each given XBMC event. It's only up to your tase and fantasy :-)

4. Taking a look at keymaps.keyboard.xml will give you an insight on the similar mapping for a keyboard.

G'luck!

WWell,
Wrooty: Maybe this thread helps you. It has helped me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu remote control help0