MCE remote Puts PC to Sleep. Won't wake it up
EG,

I think I got this figured out.

I went and put the Force Wake remote code for [Power] and the code you gave me for sending "S" I put for [MUSIC].

I then went to my Logitech remote and set it up so that it leaves the XBMC Device on all the time (it won't try and turn it off). I also specified that it required a separate button to turn it on and a separate button to turn it off. I set the [PowerOn] to turn it on or basically force it to wake and to turn it off I just selected NONE.

I set Menu to point to [MUSIC] so that triggers the System menu..

So now, when the XBMC sits idle long enough it goes to sleep on it's own. If the wife walks in and wants to choose the activity XBMC. It will force Wake it and fire up everything else (receiver, TV, etc). If the XBMC happens to be awake already the [PowerOn] should not put to sleep but send another Force Wake and being that its already awake not affect anything. Essentially only work when it's actually asleep.

THanks for your help!.

B.
I see now, good you figured it out. I do not use harmonys so I do not know how they work really!

Cheers,
EG.
dysan911 how did you get around the turning on issue? Im having a very similar problem, only my remote stops waking the htpc after an extended period of time (10 or so hours). Waking worked fine yesterday during setting up and when I tried it right now, but wouldnt wake this morning even though the led on the IR receiver was flashing as though it was receiving a command. Pressing a button on the wired usb kb or mouse instantly wakes the pc, as does removing the usb ir receiver. Ive experienced these issues before with a different install of windows on the same pc but didnt pay much attention as the htpc was a WIP. Here are the relevant parts of my setup:

AIM RC6 remote + usb ir receiver
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Corsair HX650 PSU
Windows 7 x64 SP1 plus latest patches.

A picture of the packaging of the remote as this xbmc wiki entry has it listed as a Mediagate MG-IR02BK

I made a batch file containing the command
Code:
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)"
and had this batch file run at various system events using EventGhost, but this hasnt helped. I have already done most things mentioned in this post, bar the registry mods, and I have also disabled the 'selective usb suspending' option in the windows power options.

More and more Im starting to think that the receiver is the problem here wired kb wakes the pc instantly... Im going to do a bit more testing/fiddling to see if its not the usb port that is having issues, if theres no improvement I may have to get another receiver... Getting up off the lounge to turn on my htpc is not acceptable! Rofl
teeedubb,

I could NEVER get it to wake my system. I was using a temporary laptop connected to a docking station as my XBMC PC though. I used power saving profiles to do the best I could since I didn't have any luck letting the system go to sleep and being able to wake it up. The profiles would spin the drives down, lower CPU, dim the screen, etc after a certain amount of idle time went by.

I later switched my laptop setup to a permanent desktop and the wake feature works fine.

Very odd that yours will work for a while and then stop working. Sorta rules out that you have in your System Properties that your USB device can Wake the system from sleep mode.
I guess your problem was on the pc side, strange that we have similar symptoms. Glad you got it working, its such a trivial issue but has a huge impact on the user friendliness of the htpc... I know whats going on when it doesnt turn on via remote but the gf doesnt.

Ive done some more digging around in powercfg and have 'wake_armed' every item that was in the 'wake_programable' list using the following commands:
Code:
PowerCfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_programmable

PowerCfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_armed

POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "[b]DEVICE FROM -DEVICEQUERY[/b]"

so now everything that is attached to the pc has the ability to wake the system. So the batch file that gets run at various system events now looks like
Code:
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)"
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "HID Keyboard Device"
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "HID-compliant mouse (002)"
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "HID-compliant consumer control device"
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"
POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "HID-compliant device (004)"
The batch file probably isnt necessary, but I want to be sure that the devices are wake enabled.

Ive also scoured the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' and 'Human Interface Devices' sections of Device manager and everything looks fine in there. The motherboard has a USB3 port so Ive connected it up to that. I also had a look in the bios and enabled the 'power on by mouse' and 'power on by keyboard' options. Im not going to have a kb or mouse hooked up once everything is setup, but Im running out of ideas and patience here, and they might help in some mysterious way.

Everything seems to be working fine and the system is waking from the USB3 port, but I probably wont know the results till tomorrow, maybe later, but Ill post them here.

On another note my netbook has hidden bios options that can be accessed by pressing 'Fn + F11, Fn + F12, right arrow', maybe yours has something similar?
Dont know if you've given this a try yet. It might help

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

MCE Standby Tool
As far as I can understand it, you were experiencing the same issue that I was, where I could pu the HTPC t osleep wit hthe power button on mce remote, but not turn it on again with the same button. For me, I fixed this by editing a setting in BIOS to 'Allow USB wake-up from S3'. Once I set this, I could wake up the HTPC with power button on remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote Puts PC to Sleep. Won't wake it up0