WDDM vs Nvidia Drivers
Hi Guys,

My first post ... As the title says this thread is about WDDM drivers vs Nvidia ones.

Now I would never advocate using WDDM drivers, however for some reason they seem to have fixed my problem.

Not too sure when the problems started, possibly from Dharma onwards, but anyway since that time I have had problems viewing any MKV files in XBMC. Basically what happens is that when watching an MKV file (720p or 1080p) there would be visable 'jumps' in the video.

These jumps would never be in the same place in a file, and were completely random. However they were also very distracting when watching a file. I banged my head aganinst the wall with this issue for about two weeks, trying various drivers, 32bit vs 64bit windows etc to no avail.

The symptons of this were that if I press 'o' during playback the fps counter would fluctuate between 23.98 and 24. This in itself isnt unusual however occasionaly the fps would also dip down to around 22fps. At that point audio and video would get out of sync , and hence the jump. Note this also does this even when the video is paused, whether that is relevent I dont know.

Rest assured my setup regarding display res and refresh rates was all fine .. Not running is a window, but running proper full screen too and DVXA was enabled. Tried DirectSound and WASAPI HDMI selections, but both produced the same results. Setting Reclock did aleviate the problem somewhat , but then I notice the audio 'wabling' as I call it , or in other words the pitch changing in the audio as it slows down and speeds up. Very annoying.

As I said I banged my head against the wall for ages trying to solve this issue, when I decided the only thing left to try was WDDM drivers as it was worth a shot, as stated I would never recommend anybody use WDDM drivers in most cases.

However using WDDM drivers seems to have fixed this particular issue for me. I am at a loss to explain why that should be the case , but there you go. With WDDM drivers I get no jump in frames at all, dropped frames are nill after the usual dropped frames when a file is first opened which is normal from what I can see as the refresh rate is changing.

Here is my setup:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (currently 32bit)
Acer Aspire Revo R3600
Nvidia ION (Set to max 512MB in BIOS)
4GB
500GB Samsung 2.5" HDD
2TB Samsung 3.5" HDD (external USB)
Windows Media Center IR Receiver
Logitech Harmony One Remote

If anybody else is having similar issues on the same hardware I suggest at least trying the WDDM drivers. As I only use this hardware as a server and for XBMC I cant see any real negative impact of using WDDM drivers other than maybe accelerated flash support. I dont use iPlayer however so that shouldnt be an issue.

Don't know if any of the devs have an explantion for this strange resolution to a problem , but it might be worth investigating.
I see this stuttering on my new R3700 and the latest nvidia drivers haven't fixed so how exactly do I use WDDM drivers?
I think originalbadboy is referring to the drivers that windows update will prompt you to install if you don't install nvidia's. This is interesting, but not unexpected as the wddm drivers are probably stripped of the hacky workarounds and whatnot that nvidia puts in to check to see if benchmark or game applications are running and 'auto-tweak' itself to get the best performance. It's utter nonsense like that which makes htpc's so *fun* to try and get to run smoothly.

originalbadboy, are you able to still adjust the more advanced settings with the wddm drivers (i.e. color format, colorspace, etc.)?
I tried uninstalling the nvidia ones, then let Windows update them itself but it installed nvidia ones again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WDDM vs Nvidia Drivers0